Land of the Bohemian crown...


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
July 5th 2006
Published: July 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Old Town HallOld Town HallOld Town Hall

The old town hall ( i think)
so here we are in prague just finishing up our first day...

After our taxi drama, settling at the hostel, and all of that, we headed out toward the old town square and then toward the charles bridge. tired and gross we,just thought we'd do some wandering before dinner. we eventually chose a little cafe where i had myself a pilsner and some roast pork with cabbage and dumplings. since this is clearly a food journal i've attached a picture of both. :-) back in the square, there was a big jumbotron up for the germany-italy game but we just headed back toward the hostel. there we ended up talking with these two vegan girls from florida for a couple of hours about all kinds of things from social justice to feminism. we hit the sack sometime before 1

my alarm like didn't go off so we slept til 9:30 and then showered and whatnot, missing breakfast. we had breakfast at 'bohemian bagel' where we ran into those two girls again. the day started out with heading down to nove mesto ( i can't figure out the diacritics on this keyboard) to wenceslaus square, where demonstations occured during the
town hall + churchtown hall + churchtown hall + church

The town hall with the Tyn Church
communist period. at the end is the national museum, but we didn't check it out. the street is lined with all kinds of shops and restaurants. i ended up buying two pairs of pants and some shirts at this awesome store that starts with a k. thanks, new credit card! i swear i won't buy anything else here.

after that we hit up the communist museum which was pretty cool with all kinds of memorabilia from the communist period. their logo was this little russian doll with sharp teeth, which i found hilarious. check out the pic, obviously. i wish i could have bought a shirt or something with that, though i did get some cool postcards that are quite amusing. one of the best parts of the museum was the video they showed with all kinds of news coverage and whatnot from the communist takeover to riots and the velvet revolution. cool beans...

kasia needed a snack so we stopped at kfc for some home cooking. lol. next it was time for some quality time with the jews, so we bought a multipass ticket to various synagogues and the jewish cemetary. i put on my little yammaka
Jan HusJan HusJan Hus

A statue in his honor in Stare mesto
(spelling?) and headed in. the first place was a former synagogue and now has its walls covered in the names of all the jewish victims from the holocaust, including those outside of the czech republic. next was the cemetary, which had an eerie complacence to it. lots of crambed tombstones with hebrew script, as was expected.

feeling a bit tired, we headed to coffee heaven, our friend from poland. we both got drinks and chilled outside at a table. i made friends with the people next to us. there was one woman from colombia, her son-in-law from somewhere in spain, and then a mother and daughter from catalunya. when i first started talking to them in spanish i thought my head was going to float off. having been thinking in polish for so long and now attempting to learn some czech, i had to reach back into my brain for my spanish skills. i was really proud of myself, though, because my spanish got pretty hot as we kept talking, and i even busted out some catalan, which the woman from catalunya was quite impressed by. i loved how she spoke spanish. i could've listened to her all day.
Pilsner and mePilsner and mePilsner and me

Enjoying some Czech beer
foreign languages are ridiculously wonderful. i can't wait til spain :-)

keeping with the spanish theme, we hit up the sephardic spanish synagogue, which was gorgeous. naturally, pictures were prohibited. after that we went up to where the former statue of stalin was to get amazing views of the entire city. its a lot bigger than i thought. we walked along the river all the way to the charles bridge, where kasia bougth some art for herself and others. i think it would be in my best interest to not spend money. we then headed back to the commercial area because i had broken my flip flops, but everything sucked so we went to eat instead. we ended up at a pizza place since kasia got a taste for it. my apple-gorgonzola-chile pizza was delicious.

after dinner we simply headed back to the hostel to drop off our stuff and then went here to the internet cafe. tomorrow we do prague castle. ciao!

final thoughts...

czech is a fascinating language, but not fascinating enough for me to want to learn it...
apparently armywear isn't just a gdansk thing. its taking eastern europe by storm...
the number
FoodFoodFood

Roast pork, ridiculously good cabbage, and czech dumplings
of asian tourists increased like 1000%...
people say 'ciao' a lot on the phone....
considering its around 24 czech crowns to a dollar, converting is a pain in the ass. we just like multiply by 4 and move some decimal points...


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

National MuseumNational Museum
National Museum

we didn't go inside, but it seems pretty legit
Wenceslaus SquareWenceslaus Square
Wenceslaus Square

Kasia just so happy to be in Prague!
FunnyFunny
Funny

I heart this
CommunismCommunism
Communism

One of the many displays at the communist museum
Jewish CemetaryJewish Cemetary
Jewish Cemetary

tombs in the cemetary
"skyline""skyline"
"skyline"

part of the Prague skyline from where the stalin statue used to be
Me againMe again
Me again

me with some of the Charles Bridge and whatnot in the background
without mewithout me
without me

same stuff without me ruining the picture


6th July 2006

Praha como no
Since you are doing the food tour of Eastern Europe you must stop at this fantastic cafe in Mala Strana for breakfast or lunch. At present, its name is escaping me, but take the first (or maybe the second) left after you cross the Charles Bridge, follow the road around until you see the most precious cafe is your entire life on the right. It should be across from an English university or something like that. The cappuccinos are fantastic as are the massive crepes (aka pancakes). I will post again once I figure out the name. Bien hecho con el espanol - disfruta tu viaje!!
6th July 2006

I love those matriska dolls! i think that picture of it with fangs might give me nightmares haha.
6th July 2006

zdjęcia
Najfajniejsze są te zdjęcia z Wami i Pragą w tle..:)
6th July 2006

Oh, Jeff, how the memories came flooding back of our wonderful trip to Prague 5 years ago! Your photos brought smiles to me, as well as to my co-workers who kept looking over my shoulder. (They couldn't help coming to my side since I kept screaming with joy!) Thanks for the food pix; I loved the food, too!!
6th July 2006

huh
i love the doll with the sharp little teeth. it's a little bit cute but also a little bit "i want to feast on your blood" which is cool.. (? lol) and i love the caption "MUSEUM OF COMMUNISM IS HERE!!" it screams, "Look no further...you've found it!! come oooonnnnnn in!!" all very interesting. and oy, i spoke spanish over the phone today at work. I felt proud for all three minutes of it...but who knows about my other 92 days upcoming...
7th July 2006

lamb
Hey Jeff, While you're in Prague, you should go to a restaraunt on the North Side of the Charles Bridge. It is practically underneath the North Steps...it has the best lamb I have ever had. Glad to hear that all is still going well

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb