Prague Thanksgiving


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
November 24th 1978
Published: June 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

In November 1978 we decided to take a train trip for Thanksgiving weekend to Prague with Milt and Mary, a couple from the base chapel.

We took the Friday night train from Frankfurt and crossed the border near Hof. I remember being woken in the middle of the night with the Czech border guards searching under and through the train and having our passports stamped.

We arrived in Prague, Czechoslovakia early Saturday morning and took a taxi to our hotel to check in. Then we walked to the Old Town Square to watch the clock strike the hour and all the figures in motion. It was a rainy day, so I had my umbrella tucked under my arm. I accidentally poked a man with the tip and he reacted as if he had been stabbed; before he smiled at my astonished reaction.

We then crossed the Charles Bridge and climbed the hill to the St. Vitus Cathedral. After hitting the major tourist attractions on Saturday, there wasn’t much to do on Sunday, so we thought we would look around the city to see what life was like in a communist country…pretty drab. We took trolley rides from one end of town to the other for $.10. We ate at several restaurants, and the food was pretty bad.

We caught the train home on Sunday evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.895s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 57; qc: 188; dbt: 0.3107s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb