Amazing city, fantastic food and cheap beer which doesn’t give you a hangover


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
May 22nd 2011
Published: May 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This trip was a little different and absolutely fantastic. Well we went to Prague to meet Chris’ brother Mathew and his girlfriend Lorien who are doing a Euro trip for few weeks. It was Diana’s third trip to Czech Republic and Chris’ first time, and he always wanted to visit this corner of the world so it was a perfect time to explore the city.

We arrived to Prague a day before Mathew and Lorien, and we did decide to stay at a hostel since we’ll spend all the time with the family. Well we are used to stay with some CS:ers because we are keen to see not touristic part of the city as well. We are low budget traveler, we did decide to book a hostel a little out of the city center and it looked quite good on the website. But it took a while to get there by train, by tram and by walking… and the surrounding was kind of scary – really strange people, buildings etc. Also we got lost once and did come to another hostel which was like a psychiatric clinic in old Soviet Union. Diana was in panic and refused to stay there, and luckily it turned out that it is a wrong place. It was a big relief for Diana and Chris thought it is just fun and adventure. Finally we found the right place in middle of nowhere which looked a little better than last hostel and we got own room (but we were booked in 5 beds room) for same price but didn’t stop Diana complain about the place and people who was working there. They looked like have some problems with alcohol and people who lived were the construction stuff so you can imagine what kind of smell was in the house. As well the shower or toilet wasn’t really private – just a drapery. Well Chris needed to be a security guard when Diana needed to go to the restroom or to take a shower. Also it was impossible to avoid see all kind of body parts 😊 One morning we heart a gun shots too… Later on it turned out that we are staying in a bad gypsy area.
This amazing city had definitely a lot to give and show, and we absolute loved it. Mathew and Lorien did arrive next day and we did begin to explore Prague. One thing is really clear –this city is unbelievable crowded of tourists. Sometime it is hard to see the main things because of all people around. But it was absolute amazing to experience Prague life and see all kind of stuff, and we had wonderful company as well. You guys did make our trip to a perfect experience!

As we did a free tour round Prague and did see a lot in four hours. Bridges over the Vltava River and the Charles Bridge which is amazing and absolute one of the highlights in Prague. The Astronomical Clock on Old Town Square is making a show once per hour but watch out for the pickpockets! Prague Castle is dominating the sky line of the city. The view of Prague is stunning from a higher level. An area which shows the Jewish culture in this country is interesting, for example Kafka monument in the street Dusni is also unique.

The food and beer is also great in this city, plenty of restaurants and even more pubs which were to our liking. The beer in Czech Republic is just great and the bonus is that you don’t get to have a hangover due to lack of presertives. Each morning was like waking up and waiting for the pain to follow but feeling refreshed and ready to explore more.

The food was a lot of pork and dumplings served normally with a large helping of gravy and of course to wash it all down the beer.. We did do a day trip to Kutna Hora which has a monastery containing the bones of around 40,000 people in a decorated way. Weird? Well yeah it can be once entering the small monastery and then been totally surrounded by skulls before walking down the staircase and everywhere you look are bones. Each corner has a giant pyramid of bones and to one side is what looks like a massive shield made from bones which did look pretty impressive.

Overall, Prague is one, if not the main city to see in Europe due to the artistic and architectural heritage. The ‘city of spires’ will make you want to linger here for longer and the five days we had were still not enough to uncover all the secrets of this amazing city.



Additional photos below
Photos: 129, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.1604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb