Istria


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Istria » Rovinj
October 2nd 2009
Published: October 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Rovinj at daybreakRovinj at daybreakRovinj at daybreak

Gabriel and I went out early to see the fishing boats. The light is extraordinary on the coast here--much like California!
The Croatian coast is the landscape of my dreams. This, for me, is the most beautiful of type of climate and topography: dry, rocky with lavender and brush and pine along the sea. And such a sea! The Adriatic here displays the most dramatic pallette of marine colors, from turquoise green to indigo blue. The water is clear all the way to the bottom and is teaming with fish, crabs and other sea life. There is nothing more exciting to me than swimming off of white rocks into a deep ocean, as we did these days in Rovinj, traveling by bike to various coves and tiny bays south of the town. We explored tide pools and mysterious rock sculptures and I watched all my other plans--traveling to Pula to see Roman ruins, going to mountain towns to see medieval architecture--vanish. The lure of the sea was too much for us. Not coincidentally, it was on this very sea, some hours south of here, that Odysseus drifted off track and ended up a captive of Calypso on the island of Mjlet (Ogygia) for seven years. For us, just a few blissful days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

St. EuphemiaSt. Euphemia
St. Euphemia

This church is at the top of the old city of Rovinj, affording spectacular views all around.
In the AdriaticIn the Adriatic
In the Adriatic

The boys loved swimming in the clear water. Here we are at a little cove just outside of town.
Tidepool animal sanctuaryTidepool animal sanctuary
Tidepool animal sanctuary

The boys spent hours creating a "sanctuary" for crabs and other animals they found.
Mysterious rock sculpturesMysterious rock sculptures
Mysterious rock sculptures

Out biking one day, we came across a large group of rock sculptures. Some were quite intricate and interesting.
Central archCentral arch
Central arch

The focal point of this field of rock structures seemed to be this arch. Dean and I were reminded of the work of the artist Andy Goldsworthy, who creates ephemeral sculptures in and from nature.


5th October 2009

beautiful
Memories to keep forever

Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb