Split


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
September 16th 2012
Published: September 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Woohoo! Made it to Split!

A Long flight from kl to Paris but I did sleep very well. The flight attendant had some trouble waking me for dinner (lamb and veggies at about 3am!) and had no luck at all waking Jane. Ken did not sleep well at all. He was so glad food and drinks came regularly as he as going a bit stir crazy. We both had centre seats in different rows with two people either side of us, one of whom would be asleep whenever you needed to get out!

Charles de Gaulle to Orly by AirTrain, metro line, change at Antony then AirTrain to Orly. We met a very nice Frenchman who, when he overheard me say at CDG "do we know where we are going", told us "you will come with me!" and he took us as far as the ticket machines at the metro. Unexpected kindness is always welcome and sometimes startling when it comes from complete strangers.

When checking in at Orly, Ken had some fun with the young staff. They asked where we were from and we had the usual travellers chat and when leaving Ken said "see you 'round like a rissole!" he then had to try and explain what he meant to people with limited English. They queried if in Australia we spoke US or British English and as Jane explained it ismore British that US, but mostly Australian!

After an untroubled flight to Split we caught a taxi to old Split. Great taxi driver, again limited English but he answered our questions about housing - most people have two or three generations per house, each often on separate floors of the house. Those without families lived in apartments. He pointed to the only private apartments in Split - graves in the cemetery, a man with a sense of humour!

our apartment was in the old part of Split, very picturesque and with many little alleyways which directed you in all sorts of directions, often where you had no intention of going! I am looking forward to spending the day here when we come back. Jane's room was almost an apartment in itself. Norm and Linda and Sal and Clem stayed in an apartment just around the corner from us which was refurbished and very up market. We also found a laundrette where Natasha washed, dried and packed our washing for us for a very reasonable price. This was a great relief as it was raining.

We discovered the fresh fruit and vege markets and bought provisions for the boat, as usual we will eat very well! We almost bought flowers for the boat but as ken and jane have allergies decided not to. On leaving the markets Linda remarked we needed to buy some lavender to keep the boat smelling nice. Looks like we are going to go five star boating, just like we usually go five star camping! Once we had moved our luggage down to the boat Linda Sally, Jane and I went to the supermarket for furtherprovisions. Three trolley loads later we asked if we could take the trolleys back to the boat. With a long suffering look that spoke of weary experience with tourists the lady said "no, taxi?" we did not understand so she looked at us for a while and said "taxi, do you want me to ring for a taxi". What a great idea, so we also stocked up on booze to make the trip worthwhile.

The taxi driver was a joker. "Were you want to go, where is the boat" he said. At the marina, I replied. "of course it is, where else would it be" he exclaimed. He promptly then took us to another entry andwhen we exclaimed "no, not this one " he said " of course not this one! I have been married to someone like you for 15 years, so of course it is not this one!" we all just burst out laughing to which he replied you will also be laughing when I give you the bill! His response when stopped by two carsreversing across and out of the correct entry to the marina where our boat was moored was "Poles, mad tourists" more laughter from us. As he helped us unload the taxi he loudly whispered to the guys "I have brought them back, I can take them away again if you like!"

Boat provisioned, luggage stowed, time for somecheese, crackers and a glass of wine. Accomplished. Time to go back to the restaurant for dinner. We are good at going halves in meals these days, must be eating too much in between meals! Then to bed, not necessarily to sleep as there was a croatian wedding reception at the marine, thy sure know how to party long and hard, 3am before they quiet ended down! Ear plugs have never been so good!

We are now sitting down to fresh fruit salad and cereal for brekky, the off on our first stop the island of Brac.



Yippee!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb