Somewhere in the Sparkling Adriatic


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
May 23rd 2007
Published: May 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Finally an Internet cafe!

We are in Sali but I can't spell or remember the name of the island...one of many perfect ones in the Adriatic that we have visited already. First off...the weather has been superb. Not a cloud in the sky, temperatures in the 30C, lovely breezes off the water make it bearable. The cycling has been amazing. Not for the unfit, mind you...lots of hills to climb but the views continue to be worth it. Some islands, like today, have hardly andy inhabitants and therefore, no traffic. Yet the roads are surprisingly good....no winter potholes here.

Our boat is called the Plondin and there is another smaller one following along as well from the same tour company. We are 16 passengers, mostly Germans or German Swiss but there is a four-some from Belgium who speak Flemish...hard to understand but they can switch to more proper Dutch and one speaks very good English. There is one 68 year old Aussie...crocodile Dundee himself....who was very relieved to discover Fred and I were English speaking. He's added a lot of humour to the group. He's had heart surgery just 9 months ago and bikes like a mad fiend. Our two guides are both very good English speakers and translate everything very well. However, it is a bit of a challenge to integrate the German and English speaking side of the group. Everyone is very keen on the biking and roughly in our age group.

The food is high calorie and we fall on each meal like wolves on a sheep. Breakfast is varied and typically European. There are two dinners with meat and potatoe , pasta, risotto, gnichi etc. and veg at noon and fish in the evening. The cabin is just large enough for Fred and I...quite basic but all you need for this type of holiday. We live out in the sun and the sea. The water is aquamarine and so clear you can see every sea urchin in 15 feet of water. We've been swimming almost everyday in bays with the boat at anchor or on the beaches near the harbours. Most of the harbours have been very small and quiet (hence no internet access) but we've also been in a few larger harbours where the towns look very Venetian (given they settled here 600 years ago).

The smells have left a huge impression. Today for example, we are on an island that is also called herb island because it is covered with rosemary and sage. There is a yellow blooming bush that looks like forsythia (but isn't) that smells of jasmin. There are wild red poppes in bloom everywhere and every house is covered in climbing roses that are in full bloom. Then there are the evergreens that are so much more fragrant in 30+C heat! So I just pedal and sniff and drink it all in.

Folks...sorry for the short update but this is all the Kuno I have with me and I must sign off.

This is an unbelievable holiday so far....loving all of it. I haven't even mentioned the towns....more later. Sory for the spelling mistakes...not time to correct.

Grace



Advertisement



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb