Mediterranean Cruise 2012


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
October 21st 2012
Published: October 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Commonwealth Brunch onboard shipCommonwealth Brunch onboard shipCommonwealth Brunch onboard ship

Prior to going to Split we had the bruch on board which was very nice but oh so busy!
We arrived at Split to not very nice weather to start off the day. As we didn't berth at the dock we were ferried to the dock by tender (life boats). The sea was a bit rough and we were thrown around a bit in the tender - I was thrown against a pole in the tender and ended up with a very black bruise but otherwise okay.

Split is the largest Dalmation city, and the second largest urban centre in Croatia on the shores of the Mediterranean, more specifically on the eastern shore of the Adriatic Sea. A very popular tourist population destination being one of the oldest cities in the area approximately 1700 years old although archaeological research establishes the city as several years older.

We decided to just walk around the town and the old Palace which now houses markets with some shops made in the walls or remains of the Palace. Not a lot to do there but wonderful restaurants along the shores and in walkways everywhere.

At this time of the year - in this part of Europe, many shops and tourist spots are ready to close for the season, so many sales are on and am sure some of the local people are tired of working at this stage. They close from anytime in October and definitely by the end of November and don't return to work until March sometime to start over again.

We spent a lot of time one afternoon fixing up the last lot of blogs while having lunch in a huge square with restaurants and great views of the sea.... hard life but we can manage it... just...

The weather certainly improved and we headed back to the ship which had a formal night that night - have had some great photos taken. On the ship they have 4 formal nights and the rest are smart casual at night.

After dinner that night we went to the show which was a hilarious comedian - we had a great laugh and went on to the Piano Bar for awhile before retiring for the night.

The following day was a day at sea where we had a relaxing day and caught up a bit with friends and had my hair done and then had a final dinner with some Adelaide friends- Steve and Marlene & Dave and Jeannie - it was a great night but a bit sad as we enjoyed our time with them both onboard and on the excursions - we will all catch up when we get back to Adelaide for sure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Old Town Main SquareOld Town Main Square
Old Town Main Square

Looks bare but at the other end is a great restaurant.
Pinnacle restaurant presentationPinnacle restaurant presentation
Pinnacle restaurant presentation

This shows how the kebabs are flambied (?) before serving guests in the restaurant - looks spectacular.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb