Split


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
October 11th 2010
Published: October 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This morning the four of us drove to Split. Marina didn't have to teach class, so we got to spend the day with our own private tour guide. Our first stop was a cafe at the top of a hill, looking over the bay. We could see the waterfront and the old part of the city dating back to the 3rd century. Split was a favorite city of the Roman Emperor Diocletian and he built his palace there. Because of this, Split has always been a very modern city.
Before we went to the palace, Gina and Marina left us to go to a shop in a different part of the city. This left dad and Cara to wander around the square. After shopping for a bit we decided to go to a cafe bar and grab a beer. Cara got so excited when she saw a grinder on the table full of red pepper flakes! (nothing in Dalmatia has spice; we couldn't find any hot peppers anywhere!). Dad was excited too because on the menu he discovered that this bar had Guinness, his favorite beer. We hadn't been able to find that beer anywhere either.
We drove down to the center and took a tour of the palace ruins. (We snuck in the back of a guided tour, hehe ;0) This was the best thing we did because we were able to hear much more history this way. Marina chose to admit our intrusion to a man standing in the back with us, unfortunately, he was the man who organized the tours and was not happy with us... oops.
During the tour we stopped to listen to a group of accapella singers; they were signing an old Croatian love song. It was very beautiful! After this, we decided to separate from the tour and head deeper into the square to do some shopping. This was the best shopping we had done so far. Gina and Cara got tons of things and dad was so cute, carrying all of the bags around.
It was starting to get dark and when we turned a corner, Marina noticed an out-door restaurant that was selling fresh seafood bbq. We stopped here and ordered two ahi steaks, some prawns and some soparnik (pastry bread filled with spinach and cheese, yummy!). It was so delicious!
I think we have all agreed that Split has been our most favorite city so far!



Additional photos below
Photos: 99, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



14th October 2010
Split

I love this picture!!! You two are beautiful and your eyes Gina WOW me. I'd say take those sunglasses off but I love how you can tell it's a self pic and you can see the landscape. Very cool. Love you guys!
14th October 2010
Split

May all your wishes come true xo

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb