Biking around Mljet


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Mljet
January 10th 2011
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Saturday (28/8/2010)
Our host dropped us down to the Port and pointed us in the direction of the passenger ferry, (as it turned out it was quicker and cheaper than the car ferry). We joined the growing queue happy not to be one of the late ones turned away and got a couple one way tickets to the Island of Mljet (as recommended by KB and Sas). We arrived at Mljet a couple hours later and took one of the local touts offers of a cheap apartment just 500m from the port. We got lunch supplies whilst the prepared our apartment and enjoyed our salad rolls in the sun of our balcony.
Afterward's we hired some bikes and set off into the National Park to Mljet's famous lakes. After a steep climb and a couple consultations of our map we road right around the two lake to the point you have to turn around (despite it looking like a bridge on the map!). We made a leisurely return stopping along the way for a couple swims in the stunning turquoise waters and an ice cream from the ‘Icecream bike’ (these are starting to become addictive!) but absolutely essential to make it back up that bloody hill. Carly’s chain popped off just as fatigue was about to take over but we made it back injury free.
Back at our apartment for a beer and dinner on the balcony.

Sunday Carly’s 27th Birthday!!
What a beautiful place for a birthday, we started the morning with a short run followed by breaky, phone calls and emails! (Presents were on hold). Then we walked back into town to hire some bikes to explore more of the island. Back to battle the steep hill, unfortunately not any easier now a year older!
We rode to the foot of Mount Monatuc, ditched the bikes and set off on foot after a relatively easy thirty minute climb we reached the top with stunning views over the lakes of Mljet and to the mainland of Croatia. We sat back to enjoy the views over our packed lunch. We climbed back down and rode a short distance to the boat dock (that we’d since learnt was included in our entry ticket) that ferry’s you to the small island which holds a small monastery and a couple extortionate restaurants. We stupidly bought some water and walked around the island to find ourselves a nice swimming spot.
We swam to the mainland and back to our stuff then back to the docked boat, squeezing a quick peak at the run down monastery, before our return journey back to our bikes. We rode back to town and up the dreaded hill (chain remained on) back for another ....ice cream of course.
After a beer on the balcony as the sun set over the water we returned our bikes and searched for a restaurant for dinner eventually settling for ….. (opps lost the business card). We ordered the grilled seabass plucked from a net right by our table (can’t get much fresher!). Just as Carly was asking do any ever get away one of the two fish being returned to the net mistakenly slipped between the net and into the port. I guess that’s a yes! We washed down our fish with a local Sav blanc.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

So lushSo lush
So lush

Views from Mt. Monunac


Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb