Hvar, pronounced heughvwarr (try rolling the tongue)


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Hvar
September 9th 2011
Published: September 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

First it was yachts – now it’s mega-yachts. Beautiful Hvar Island is now a required stop for restless international trend-spotters always alert to the latest island paradise. Hvar deserves the honour, for it is the sunniest and greenest of the Croatian islands. Called the ‘Croatian Madeira’, Hvar receives 2724 hours (roughly 240 days) of pure sunshine each year. The stunning interior is a panorama of lavender fields, peaceful villages and pine-covered hills.


For those that have never seen pictures of Hvar, I would describe it as the Caribbean made sweet love with St.Tropez and their baby; the beautiful island of Hvar. A melange of quaint beauty with rustic flare and luxurious sophistication makes Hvar the ideal destination for us cheap-skating backpackers and those slightly high-flying, big-boat-owning, 79 euro caviar eating, lavish-life living toffs.


We stayed in a hostel called The Green Lizard, reccomended by Lonely Planet... I can see why. The views from the eating balcony were stunning and the sunset panoramas in the evening were magnificent. There was an out door "chill" area with fairy lights, bean bags and a hammock. The only down side was the fact that the hostel was situated high on a hill side which only meant one thing ... STEPS! And lots of them, this paired with 15 kilo backpacks and 40 degree heat equalled yet again more sweating.


On the first night the atmosphere was one of amicability and bliss. Gathered round a rickety dining table surrounded by friendly strangers drinking beer every person was thinking "Life is Good". Later that evening Perryn, who was staying at the hostel for 20 days, took the position of live in night-life tour guide and happily dragged the group down to the hotspot "Kiva Bar". "Oh yah eets crazzy in der mun you must go in" said Ulf the 30 year old Finish guy who had obviously beat the group to the first one in. I have to say though...Ulf was right. The bar boasts low ceilings and brick walls decorated in mis- matched odds and ends. But forget the decor, it's all about the cocktails. These 1litre pitchers come is every combo of liquor and fruit one can imagine, complete with extra long straws for sharing (or stealing 😊 An eveing/early morning is not complete at Kiva without experiencing one of their tequilla boom booms. This entails the drinker wearing a post war combat helmet and the barman wacking the cocktail shaker on their head.... quick call the government's secretary for health and safety too much fun is being had here.


Okay, so around 1 Kiva starts to die down, the alleys start to empty, but the night is young. After Kiva bar, one can catch one of the boats running all through the night to Carpe Diem, a tiny island dedicated to sunbathing and partying. YES it is an island with a club on it, it contains many bars, many pools and many other lavish things. ect.. (All this luxury is starting to bore me)


The next day is crowned the best day of the whole trip. The weather was hot and dry with not a cloud in the sky, we walked to the beach, sun bathed and swam in blue crystaline water with fish frolicking at our feet. Then, in the heat of the day we wandered back to the hostel and simply lazed the day away. I planted myself in the hammock among the trees, closed my eyes and listened to some chilled out reggae tunes, allowing myself to do absolutely nothing... and it felt wonderful.


Our last night in Hvar was a night to remember. Naturally we started off in Kiva bar with obscene amounts of Tequilla. We came, we drank, we conquered and then the green lizard gang ambled their way back to the hostel in the wee hours after serendaing the night with some fully clothed frolicking in the luke warm waters of Hvar island. I don't think I made any real mark on Hvar, but without a doubt it made its mark on me and blessed me with 2 truly wonderful days.


We met some crazy cool people in Hvar. Just a few; Ulf from Finland, Asian Perryn, Tyler from Atlanta, James Broo from San Francisco, the hot South Africans and San Fran from London


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb