Island Hopping- Hvar & Korcula Islands


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Hvar
June 14th 2009
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Island Hopping


Hvar

We left Split on our first boat of the trip and headed to the island of Hvar. The Croatian islands have the look and feel of Italy's Amafi coast and the Greek islands but more bite than them, once again, we love Croatia.

Hvar is the sunniest place in Europe (apparently) receiving 2724 hours of sunshine each year. Hvar town is gorgeous; it is built within 13th century walls of medieval Hvar. It is marble paved, like split and most old towns in Croatia and very slippery.

We were going to camp but we went the wrong way and got fed up of looking for the camp site so we followed two other backpackers who were heading to a hostel, The Green Lizard. It turned out it was fully booked but we got offered an apartment for the same price. Brucey Bonus we think!!! So for 135kn each we bag an apartment with a balcony!!!

G was on a mission to get some sort of tan so we headed straight to the beach, which around Hvar is rock with concrete slabs to jump off into the crystal clear sea. Where we went even had shade from trees for T to sit under, heaven!

We spent the evening in a nice bar by the smaller harbour and witnessed an amusing Croatian fight not sure how it started but we watched one dude get in the other dudes car and drive it into a brick wall!!! So funny when you do not know what they are actually fighting about.

FYI 0.5kg of fish is enough for 2 people. G ended up with two massive fish to eat for dinner!!!

Korcula

Our next island was Korcula, this island is just as beautiful as Hvar and the town we were heading too is a small town tucked into a small hilly peninsular. It has got a cool little wall going around the town that used to be the defensive towers.

Before we boarded our ferry to Korcula we headed up to the hill in Hvar town to the Venetian Fortress for the most amazing views for the town below. Hard work in 12pm heat!! Only team G & T could be so silly as to attempt a hike like that at midday!!!

Luckily the boat to Korcula was air conditioned so we cooled down before our next mission to find somewhere to stay. We decided to stop at the only hostel in Korcula after missing out of the party scene in Hvar so we headed to One Love Hostel, typically the lonely planet being the lonely planet clearly had not been here before as the place is nowhere near where it says on the map. Interestingly the guy who owns the hostel said he knows they have never been to his joint only the Rough Guide has, he knows this because they tell you when they check out.

Anyway this hostel is so cool, as its low season they put us in a dorm and keep it private for us.

We headed out for a potter and food then head back to the hostel for drinks and to chat to a few people, get a feel of the place.

The next day we went to the beach where Tony stood on a sea urchin (he has only just stopped moaning about his sore toe). So the day on the beach ended quite quickly, G quickly lost interest in getting into the water after that!!!

As Korcula town is quite small it didn't take us long to see the sights so we had a boozy lunch and headed back to our gaff for a snooze.

On the night it was our mission to find this Ladder Bar people were talking about the night before, basically it is an old turret of the old fort which you have to climb up a ladder to get to the top to watch the sun set with a nice big cocktail. It did not take long, Massimo it is called (we thought The Ladder Bar sounded better though!). It was such a cool place; we spent ages up there, and even a whole day’s budget enjoying the cocktails and company. They say the world is a small place and it is the girls we met were from London and one even lived in Highgate and went to our gym, maybe we never saw her because we were never there ops!!!!

Once we were cocktailed out we headed to the only club in Korcula and enjoyed litre sized cocktails with long straws, you would be surprised how much fun you can have with long straws!!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb