Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
September 17th 2011
Published: September 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Radisson BluRadisson BluRadisson Blu

Our Resort near Dubrovnik-nice way to spend a couple of days
DUBROVNIK
Today we went into the historic city of Dubrovnik, we had been told it would be a highlight of our tour and we were not disappointed. The city was bombed mercilessly during the homeland war (although they call it the aggression) and large parts were destroyed. The city was then rebuilt in the keeping with the original style.

We had our usual walking tour with a local guide who explained the history of the city, showed us around and pointed out the best things to visit. After the walking tour we took the gondola to the top of the hill overlooking the city the view from the top was amazing, you could see the wall surrounding the old city, the defensive positions, and the new town and of course you could look out to sea as far as the horizon. It was a brilliant fine day and the contrast of blue sky and sea against white buildings and orange tile roofs was stunning. Unfortunately our camera battery ran out while we were at the top but we still go a few good shots, we had been so busy we forgot to charge the reserve battery but Sue and Don
DubrovnikDubrovnikDubrovnik

The triangles, rectangles and dots shows the specific spots that were bombed and either damaged or distryed during the 'Agression" 1991-1995. You might need to click on photo and make it bigger to appreciate the extend of the damage. its not a pretty photo but we thought it was worth including.
who went up with us took some shots that they will send through, so lesson learned and not too much lost.

When we got back down to the city we walked the south wall, it was a fair few steps to get up there but again the views of the city and the sea were amazing. The south wall runs around the seaside of the town so you get great views in all directions. The wall in part is up to 6 metres thick and there is a very good, if a bit up and down path around it. We filled our bottles with fresh water from the natural spring fountain in town before heading back to the resort for a relaxing afternoon. Jeanette had a swim in the pool and I sat in the shade and had a couple of quiet beers. Nice to have some quiet time!

EVENING CRUISE
At 5pm we headed into the port in the new town to catch the boat for our evening cruise/dinner. We cruised out around the castle rock and into the historic harbour. On the way we passed Mark Viduka’s harbour side home. Viduka played football for Australia and
Dubrovnik TodayDubrovnik TodayDubrovnik Today

Pic taken from the top of the cable car-the wall surrounding the old town is clearly visible.
Leeds United (during their golden era) but he is of Croatian decent and has a very nice home just out of Dubrovnik. We landed in the Old Town and had about an hour to have a quiet drink before we returned to the Radisson. A beautiful night, good company in a spectacular historical setting, not a bad way to kill some time. When we got back to the Resort we still had a bit of local currency so we had another drink with Don, Sue and Debbie before retiring for the night. The girl was working the bar was great – she let us buy a full round even to though we were a few Kuna short!

For dinner we had fresh snapper on the boat, it was cooked in its skin with the bones in which seems to be the way here. Tasted very nice but struggling a bit with the skin and bones way of cooking.

Tomorrow is another turning point in the tour as we head deep into the unknown - ALBANIA – as our tour director says ‘Watch this Space!

The Hotel we are staying at there is the Sheraton which offers five
DubrovnikDubrovnikDubrovnik

If you look closely you will see the clock tower is new, although they have done a brillant job of rebuilding Dubriovnik in the original style
star luxury. It also doubles as the American Embassy and hosts all the top American dignitaries, which Brendan (Tour Director) said as if it was a good thing and reflected well on the quality of the Hotel, even George Bush had stayed there! I’m sure that’s the case but not so sure being based in the same complex as the American Embassy in Albania is a huge plus (watch this space-another Brendanism)!

NOTE
Below the advert at the base of the page there is a photo of Mark Viduka's house.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Mark Viduka's HomeMark Viduka's Home
Mark Viduka's Home

Very impressive waterfront property


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb