Down to Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
July 15th 2011
Published: July 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As predicted by our Bosnia & Hercegovina hotel host, the sun rose this morning on another really hot day. At breakfast he assured us the temperature would reach 40° - and it did.
We were to make a trip to Dubrovnik today so the air conditioned car ride was a painless way to begin. All border crossings went smoothly and we enjoyed the dramatic coastal scenery as we headed south. Once again the Adriatic was blue, the beaches were full, roadside car parks packed, and great care was needed on corners as oncoming cars were not always on their side of the road.
Just north of Dubrovnik we stopped at a well-placed Information Centre and picked up a map of the Old City. As we neared our goal we looked down from the road on several huge cruise ships whose passengers were no doubt enjoying the delights of Dubrovnik. Parking was easy – underground out of the sun and just outside the Old City. We kept to the shady side of the steps as we descended the hill and found the Pile Gate which took us straight to the Placa, a wonderful pedestrian promenade stretching from one side of the town to the other. Like other visitors we tried to stay on the shady side, so that part was very crowded as people avoided the sun. Icecream for lunch was the immediate solution to the heat; we had ours with pancakes filled with chocolate and nuts!
We enjoyed the sights of the city, including the narrow little alleys that led off from the Placa and where a light breeze could sometimes be felt. Some who have been here before us had told of an opening in the city wall that leads down some steps to a bar that is outside the wall and perched above the Adriatic. We found it and spent some time enjoying another cold drink and watching the passing parade of boats, including what looked like a super-yacht and a police boat. We waited to see if there was any connection but each seemed to be headed in different directions. Our intention had been to climb up onto the ramparts and walk around part of the city wall, but the price that was being charged and the heat of the day convinced us that we could miss this experience.
Back in the car we hoped that we would come across a little beach where we could have a swim, but the crowds and lack of parking spaces made that difficult, so the togs remained dry and a cool shower back at the hotel achieved the same result. Dubrovnik is a stunning city and well worth a return visit, but perhaps not in the heat of July.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.358s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb