Perast/Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
October 15th 2010
Published: October 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we headed back toward Croatia along the Montenegran coast. We stopped in a very old small town names Perast. In the center of town is a beautiful 16th century church. From the dock in town you can take a boat across to the floating cathedral that I mentioned yesterday. The monastary on the other island is only open for religious clergy on sabatical.
We chartered the boat across to the cathedrel and were so taken aback by the beauty and history of this place. To think that it took 200 years just to build the island that the cathedral is on is mind boggling. Inside the museum which is attached to the cathedral there is this beautiful embroidered cloth. The story behind the cloth is that this woman whos husband was lost at sea, embroidered it for 25 years hoping he would come home. She used her own hair as the angels wings, and the angels hair and you can see how her hair went from dark brown to white waiting for her husband. There are two different versions to what happened to her. One is that she went blind and her husband never returned, the other that he returned and they lived happily ever after. I choose to believe the happy ending.
After we left Perast we made the hour and a half drive to Dubrovnik. The city was so beautiful, however, there were so many tourists it was hard to really appreciate the city. We stopped in at this little seaside restaraunt and had our last big eat-out meal. The food was absolutely fantastic! Once we decided we could all walk again after being so full, we decided to walk the wall around the city. On the way to the entrance to the wall we did a little shopping and got some last minute souvenirs. We left a beautiful church that was at the end of the square and were about to head to the wall when two men "ran" into Dad and another shoulder checked me (Gina) We all thought that was really weird because we were in a part of the square that wasn't very crowded. About five to ten minutes later my Dad realized that his jacket that had been tucked behind his backpack was missing. Those men had literally pick pocketed his jacket in a matter of seconds and luckily nothing was in it. The worst part is my Dad had just bought that jacket in Kotor the night before and it was a beautiful Italian made jacket. After that we were all pretty bummed out and decided maybe it was time to call it a day. So we left Dubrovnik with a bad taste in our mouth and headed back to Baska Voda.
In the end it just shows you that the bigger the tourist attraction the more you have to pay attention to when people do things like that.... lesson learned. Now we are back in Baska Voda, the town where you can walk around at midnight alone and be totally safe, and very happy to be back in Marina's house that has hot water and good food. Two last days with our friend and then the long journey home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 113, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb