Dubrovnik, etc.


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
May 10th 2007
Published: May 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we landed in Croatia and got a 3-4 hour tour of the island via bus. Our tour guide (Katjiya) told us that she was 5 when the Serbo-Crotian war broke out in 1991 and she watched the city burn from a hill top. I can't imagine watching SB burn from a hill top, let alone at 5 years old. How traumatic. The country seems to be very prosperous now and there is no sign of the destruction from the war other than some fields that have not been sown as tourism seems to be much more profitable for them.

We got an opportunity to try Croatian fig brandy and watch a 16th century hydraulic corn mill turn corn kernels into corn flour, which they in turn turned into the bread we ate for snack. It was amazing. They have been doing it just this way forever! Amazing! Almost every family makes their own wine too, however what we tasted was not so great.


We just left the Casino and are about to turn in for the night. Tomorrow is a sea day so we will have a formal dinner night! That ought to be fun. I have an appointment to get a fancy hair do in the Spa! Thanks for the emails and comments! It is always great to hear from home!


Jules (and Nick too) :^)







Advertisement



11th May 2007

jealous!
Hey Guys! You are making me sooooo jealous. I would love to see all the awesome things your seeing. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Say hi to the rest of the family for me.
11th May 2007

I'm so jealous....
It sounds like you guys are having a great time. I love your blogs, but am horribly jealous. : ) Have fun!
11th May 2007

greetings for SB
keep the journals coming, so glad ur having such an amazing time, so jealous. Looking forward to seeing the pics upon ur safe return.

Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb