Dubrovnik & Kotor


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
April 27th 2007
Published: April 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have had a wicked time over the last week. Dubrovnik was a mini holiday in our great big one just to soak up the sun (or in Lee's case get sun burnt!) The old town is really stunning it is one of the most picturesque places we have visited! The only bugbear was the incredible number of American tourists from cruises who crowded the narrow streets! They even had name badges 'Nancy Cohen from Ohio' etc etc! Crazy!!

Kotor in Montenegro was our next stop, another incredibly picturesque place! It is apparently Southern Europe's deepest Fjord but it is actually a deep river canyon according to Wikipedia. What the difference I don't know but I thought I would correct the lonely planet yet again!! We stepped off the bus in Kotor to be greeted by the usual hassle from people trying to rent us a private room (the only option in Kotor except for hotels). One woman so eager to lead us off to her house kept tapping Lee on the head! We thought we had got away insisting we wanted a place in the centre when we realised we were actually being led into the town by a old man named Marko who we thought was a taxi driver. On the way he kept pointing uphill to the fortress above the town telling us it would take 30 minute to get to the top. When he realised we thought his house was up there and that we thought he was taking us up that steep hill he laughed for the rest of the walk and kept pointing up the hill and to our bags still in stitches! His room was pretty nice and in a great part of town so we took it- to which he exclaimed 'Dobro, Dobro' (which means good- although in this part of the world it seems to be used for any situation!) On our second day there we took advantage of the cool morning to walk up to the top of the fortress above Kotor old town it was an incredible ruin, and an easy trek apart from the dodgy bridge which you had to walk legs akimbo across as there was a large hole in the middle of it!

Overall both cities were relaxing and just what we needed with absolutely incredible scenery but I think Kotor topped it because of Marko our loveable host who came out wearing his long johns to wave us off in the morning that we set off for Belgrade with yet more dobro dobro's!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb