Plitvicka Lakes


Advertisement
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We stopped at the old Croatian capital of Verazdin. A pretty little town but similar to many other pretty towns we have visited. It seemed almost empty and maybe was a waste of a night’s stop. We also passed through Zagreb, with hardly a stop, but although it was nice in the centre, to us, it was just another city.

Next we went to see the famous Plitvicka Lakes, stopping at a hotel nearby. In the morning we entered the lake area which was €15 per person to see this beautiful freak of nature.

Terry had come here 41 years ago but only for 1 hour as the others in his party showed no interest. At that time it was free and only one other couple were seen, butterflies were everywhere and there were reportedly many wild animals, like deer and bears. Now, there are between 10,000 and 12,000 people per day, so we never saw a butterfly and of course there were no bears or deer.

Forgetting this, the lakes are really something to see, one of the world’s great natural sights. Each one features a change of colour, from deep blue progressing slowly to a light blue as you walk up to the top lake. Pathways are laid out, electric boats ferry you across the difficult parts and electric buses bring you back from the top lake. It took us 4.5 hours to slowly amble the approximate 8 mile walk, and at this speed Terry’s knees managed to hold out. Plitvicka Lakes are fantastic and must be seen during any visit to Croatia.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



9th September 2010

Fantastic
Looks fantastic. John and I finally settled on France to relax after the silver wedding celebrations - we are staying at La Croix du Vieux Point - which I think you know as Paris was extremely expensive for September. We will go in a couple of days by train.

Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb