Back from Bulgaria


Advertisement
Published: October 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

IstanbulIstanbulIstanbul

Our first mosque sighting - from the top of our hotel room in Istnabul
Anne and I are back from our trip to Bulgaria. In fact we have been back for a while now, and as some of you know, I have been somewhat lax in updating the Blog.

Bulgaria is a great country, and I would highly recommend anyone passing by to stop for a while. Ideally you should 'stop by' via aircraft. Under all circumstances avoid our route - across the Turkey/Bulgaria border. Whether by train or bus, it's a nightmare. The bureaucracy adds an additional 3 hours to an otherwise 6 hour trip. The conditions of both transports are woeful.

Whilst there we picked up an off-plan ski chalet in the Bulkans. At a place known as Borovets. It's one of two large ski resorts in Bulgaria, quite similar to Fernie, in fact. But then, alot of ski resorts are very similar. We also grabbed a couple of vacant blocks, as investments. Anyone looking to buy property in Sofia, go and see ICB Properties. If your in Veliko Tarnovo, go and see the team at Remax. They are by far the best agents in Bulgaria.

Sofia is the capital of Bulgaria, and from the minute Anne and I arrived,
IstanbulIstanbulIstanbul

Fishing boats on the Bosphorous at dawn
we felt very comfortable and relaxed. It's a terrific city, and a great deal of the political history is still evident. I'm still staggered at how inexpensive the great food was. We could enjoy a great 3 course meal with wine and beer for under 20 bucks. Amazing. Irrespective of the prices, the quality of food was exceptional. Bulgaria has some awesome Salads that have to be tried.

Veliko Tarnovo is the old capital of Bulgaria and has some great old buildings. It's surrounded by beautiful landscapes and some excellent running routes (woo hoo!).

Anne learnt the Bulgarian alphabet, which proved very helpful in getting through the day to day necessities.

We hit Istanbul, and some of the must see tourist destinations of the city - The Grand Bazaar, The Blue Mosque, The Sofia Museum. I even went for a couple of runs around the city. Given the pollution it probably did me more harm than good. Anne had a hamam, which was an exhilarating experience, she tells me.

Not too many pic's, as most of our time was spent checking out the real estate.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

IstanbulIstanbul
Istanbul

The Blue Mosque
IstanbulIstanbul
Istanbul

A beauty in a beautiful park
IstanbulIstanbul
Istanbul

Our First Class Sleeper - Bulgarian Style
SofiaSofia
Sofia

"I'm sure I can get this alphabet right!"
BorovetsBorovets
Borovets

The only Pic taken at Borovets - the road to our yet unbuilt ski chalet
Veliko TarnovoVeliko Tarnovo
Veliko Tarnovo

A typical Cobblestone street in town
Veliko TarnovoVeliko Tarnovo
Veliko Tarnovo

Four Horsemen Monument


3rd November 2007

A beauty in a beautiful park
Awwwwwwwwwwww.
12th November 2007

Veliko Tarnovo
OMG How beautiful! How exciting! I can't wait to visit the place. Amazing , Louise
18th March 2008

Remax in Veliko Tarnovo
Hi, just re read your blog, so glad you were happy with our service. It was great for us to meet you and look forward to seeing you here again. Maybe we can meet for dinner? Mark Wright, Remax
9th January 2009

Wonderful Bulgaria!
You shall have to come to Varna at some point and enjoy the sea!

Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb