Plovdiv


Advertisement
Bulgaria's flag
Europe » Bulgaria » Plovdiv Province » Plovdiv
July 20th 2004
Published: July 20th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Peering into PlovdivPeering into PlovdivPeering into Plovdiv

The view into the Ethnographic museum, when the gates are closed.
Dig down a few feet anwhere in Plovdiv and you're bound to find something. History oozes from every corner of this town. With ruins dating back 7000 years to 5000bc, the area has been continually inhabited, invaded, destroyed, rebuilt, re-invaded and so on since that time.

Walking around Plovdiv you can see Roman Ruins, Thracian Ruins (from 5000bc), Churches from the 13th Century through to the 17th Century and Mosques from the Turkish occupation.

Highlights of our time in Plovdiv


Watching Van Helsing in the Roman Ampitheater at night. Silly film but a fantastic place to watch anything.
Climbing one of the seven hills for each sunset.
Chatting to locals who haven't had the novelty of tourists spoilt yet.
Learning to read the cyrillic alphabet and making random orders from the lunch menu, eg. Mish-Mash - a kind of omelete with lots of extras.
The ethenographic museum, fantastic building, interesting exhibits from the villages of the Rodopi region.
The Blue Heaven Inn, three enterprising local guys have created a clean and welcoming place ideal from backpackers T. (032) 635123 - No Saggy Beds !
Just walking around the old town, wandering into churches, courtyards, museums/open houses and
Plovdiv, BulgariaPlovdiv, BulgariaPlovdiv, Bulgaria

Taken from the Thracian Ruins.
of course resting in cafes.
On to Burgas and the coast and photos to follow 😊



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

St Nedelya ChurchSt Nedelya Church
St Nedelya Church

Really lovely church, built 1578, originally restored in the 1830's, now in need of much restoration again and probably money.
CourtyardCourtyard
Courtyard

The courtyard of one of the many open houses, can't remember which one.
Plovdiv Roman AmpitheatrePlovdiv Roman Ampitheatre
Plovdiv Roman Ampitheatre

Taken inside just before watch Van Helsing.
Ali in PlovdivAli in Plovdiv
Ali in Plovdiv

On one of the hills at sunset. Slowly becoming a hippy.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb