Goodbye, Sarajevo


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » South » Mostar
July 14th 2014
Published: July 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hello, Mostar! We headed out of Hotel Sokak in Sarajevo at 8:00 this morning, taking a bus southbound. About an hour and a half in, we stopped at Tito's Bunker, which is built into a hillside and designed to withstand at least a 12 KT nuclear blast. Although it starts at ground level, since it's built into a hill it gets as deep as 200 meters at one point. The design was impressive, and can apparently hold up to 300 people for up to 6 months. They still regularly test and check everything, so it's still useable if (hopefully not) need be.

After that, we stopped by a restaurant just outside of town where we got roasted lamb from the spit. I don't mean figuratively or lamb shank. I mean that the entire lamb was on the spit, head and all. They just lopped off chunks and stuck it on a plate. A girl at my table got a couple teeth on her plate. Needless to say, this was for the cultural experience rather than the gastronomical one.



We hit Mostar about an hour after that, where we're staying near Old Town, about a quarter mile from the famous Mostar Bridge. We had the afternoon off, so we did some exploring. Tomorrow morning we get a tour of the town and meet with the local Nansen Dialogue branch (I'll explain more after tomorrow...). Wednesday morning we're out again, on our way to Banja Luka!



I really have enjoyed this trip. I've made some great friends and learned about a region I never would have otherwise. Even though the focus isn't on Economics, there still is a relevant aspect and the overall political and historical issues that surround it are fascinating. While, as I've mentioned, there have been some tough emotional days, I'm certain this will be one of my best experiences in college. No complaints and no regrets!



Also, Tim, if you read this: Happy Birthday!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



22nd July 2014

How can we get access to Tito's Bunker?
Hey, Could you be so kind and help us? We are planning to visit Tito's bunker, but i don't find any detailed information about the opening hours ticket prices and etc. Is it possible to visit as a civil at any time in the opening hours (if there is)? Thank you for your reply!
22nd July 2014

Unfortunately, I don't believe it's open to the general public. We have a large group, and we planned this well ahead of time. Also, I believe that one of the group leaders has a contact that we were able to work with to get in. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb