Medjugorje/ Mostar


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » South » Mostar
October 10th 2010
Published: October 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We got up fairly early this morning, drove two hours on a very, very windy rode to Bosnia. (Gina almosted puked) The first time that Gina and Dad had come to Medjugorje it was this very little, very old town, with its big church that all of the pilgrims would come to. There was something about that place that used to be like magic, it was so peaceful, and holy and joyous. Well... when we got there today, 15 years later we didn't even recognize where we were. Our hearts sank as this beautful memory and place has been tarnished with ugly commercialism. There were resorts everywhere, stores all selling useless items for way to much money. This once considered holy city has now turned into a street fair. Very sad. So we climbed the famous cross mountain there, which is big stones and boulders you must climb up to the top of this mountain, which takes about an hour. That single thing was the way it was fifteen years ago. After we got down the mountain we had to get out of there due to the sadness of the place, so we headed toward Mostar.
On the way to Mostar we stopped at this artificial village that is a living working museum of what ancient villages used to look like. It was very interesting and beautiful.

Mostar is one of the city's who was hit worst by the Serb's in 1993. The remnants of the war and the bombing are written all over the walls of the city. A lot has been rebuilt but hidden between the new buildings are old ones with huge bullet holes littered all about them. Mostar is Catholic on one side and Muslim on the other. And no one from either side of the city interacts. The Muslim side was filled with beautiful mosques and these amazing shops filled with handmade jewelry and wood carvings. We stopped for dinner at this little restaraunt that had an amazing view of the river and the old bridge. And the food! We had minced meat with rice and onions, wrapped in grape leaves and slathered with the most delicious cream cheese. And there was Tomatos and Peppers and Zuchinnis all stuffed with meat and grains. Then there was huge loaves of bread for everyone to pass around the table. By the end we were all very full and in very good spirits.


Additional photos below
Photos: 131, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

MedjugorjeMedjugorje
Medjugorje

What it ALL used to look like
MedjugorjeMedjugorje
Medjugorje

This is what it looks like now


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb