Last day in bosnia


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » East » Sarajevo
July 21st 2013
Published: July 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

imageimageimage

Memorial sign
Today was another long day but was well worth it. Here is the day in a nutshell...



Got pulled over about 5 miles north of Sarajevo for speeding. Maybe the big red van is a bit noticeable. Anyway, after getting lectured by the female policija in a language I have a tough time understanding and then getting chewed out in the policija car by her partner, he finally asked me where we were going. When I told him Srebrenica, he slammed his ticket book down and told me to slow down. He assumed I was going to Belgrade.



After that, we arrived in a small town called Han Pijesak where officer #2 stopped us. This time he said the road ahead was closeD and we could either wait 3 hours or try a detour...of the many things he and dad were talking about, I did pick up that the detour was dva sto i devet deset kilometer (Roughly 75 miles). We were about 1 hour away at the time. 3 hours later, after driving a road like no other I had driven before we arrived in Srebrenica.

It was a somber place. The memorial
imageimageimage

Inside Srebrenica's small museum
was the one thing I wanted to get to on this trip. Across the road from the memorial was the warehouse that most of the 8700+victims were gunned down. Ayden did not feel comfortable inside that place. I can't say I blame him. It was a hard place to understand that concerned a war that is often difficult to understand.

On our way home there was no detour and we had a quick lunch in a town called Bratunac. Made it back pick Sarajevo in a total of 2 hours.



Picked up the crew and left dad and Carrie back while we went to Lions Field and the Olympic Facilities. We got a quick tour of the place as they are about to host the world junior handball championships. Sweden as finishing up as the team from Egypt walked in. Pretty amazing.

After that we came back to the hotel and hit the town for something to eat and a bit of shopping. Off to bed now since we are off to Bol tomorrow. Getting up in 5 hours. Laku Noć.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

imageimage
image

Museum art
imageimage
image

More artwork
imageimage
image

A memorial to the towns of the number massacred.
imageimage
image

Abbey & Ayden
imageimage
image

Checking out the names of the victims
imageimage
image

Carrie & I
imageimage
image

Shot of some of the graves.
imageimage
image

The grop that wondered if they where ever going to be seen again due to the detour.
imageimage
image

Ayden in Srebrenica's warehouse. VERY SOMBER.
imageimage
image

Lav Polje (Lion's Field)
imageimage
image

Again...
imageimage
image

Another one of Sarajevo's cemeteries.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb