Thursday - May 7


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » West Flanders » Bruges
May 7th 2009
Published: May 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Thursday - May 7, 2009
Our legs were a tad tired, or was it our behinds? For whatever the reason, we explored the town of Brugge in the morning. Having watched IN BRUGGE (because so many people said I should) I needed to know exactly where the Belfry was and wanted to see the stair tower where an eventful closing scene of the movie took place. The Belfry in Brugge is octagonal and rises 272 feet above the square, it was built between the 13th and 15th centuries. Inside the tower is a winding staircase thats leads up to the top - Jean and I wound our way up the 322 steps - only 70 people are allowed in the tower at a time - that made me a tad nervous -until we saw that about 50 of the people we were with were school children!

It was a bit claustrophobic going up - add to that the fact that you are walking up the small sections of radial stairs, and it was a bit dizzy on the way down - but great fun, good exercise and great views of Brugge from the top! And it was where the scene from the movie was shot. SO - check that off our list!

We also went to the Basiica of the Holy Blood - another great cathedral - but most known for the sacred phial which is supposed to hold a few drops of blood and water washed from the body of Christ. History reports that the phial was brought to Brugge from Jerusalem in 1150. A priest was praying with the phial on display in front of him - pretty amazing.

Our bike ride for the day took us back out to Damme, but a different route, this time through pastures and farm fields, through Moerkerke, Male and Sint-Kruis and back along the line of 5 windmills and back to the house. A 26k short day - but felt good to keep the legs moving!

The cycling sisters - Kathleen and Jean


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The ride home againThe ride home again
The ride home again

Yes that is JEAN ahead of me! But only for the picture :-)


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb