Week 24 - Spa Tribute Festival


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Walloon Brabant
July 21st 2012
Published: August 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

6/7/2012

Second music festival, was the “7 Heroes” Spa Tribute festival. These ran from lunchtime until midnight for the next three days, and would be host to some of the best cover bands in Belgium, covering bands like Green Day, Rage Against the Machine, Supertramp, Dire Straits, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and all sorts of different world-renound acts. Chris and I headed off today and arrived, and met up with some of my mates from SFX, whom which we chilled with in the rare Belge sun for the afternoon, and went to the better of the cover bands when they got on. Today the highlights were Green Day and U2 for me, who were both musically, aesthetically, and in many ways very similar to the bands they set out to mirror. Made me miss playing in the live music scene so much. You could just see the sheer enjoyment that musicians get playing their music live in front of people.

During the breaks Chris and I went to go find some frites to pass the time, and had a bit of a self-tour around Spa, which is one hell of a beautiful city. Its where a lot of Belgium’s fresh drinking water comes from, and also where an amazing natural Spa is located. Turns out my families planning on taking me there in the near future to get pampered, in the least gay sounding way possible.

The night eventually wound up around 12, and after being out to dinner, Christelle and Jean-Claude picked us up, and Chris came back to crash at our place.

7/7/2012

Slowly woke up today, and had breakfast around 11. Because there was no-one onstage we wanted to see until 1:30 (a cover band for Dire Straits), we had time to chill out at mine, and by the time we got back there, they were just coming onstage. They were honestly really really good, and the music was perfectly mirrored from Dire Straits. The only shame was that the singer just didn’t annunciate at all, and unless you knew every word of the song before, you couldn’t really make out what he was saying, which was a bit of a nail in the coffin for the performance, sadly.

Bumming around the festival grounds, we found some friends of Ali’s that we stayed with for a while, and went to a few other stages. The atmosphere was just really chilled out and nice. People lazing around chatting, taking in the brief Belgium sun. So after sneaking some alcohol past the thoroughly checking security, we sat with a few beers and a bottle or two of Sangria for good measure and listed to a bit of James Morrison (cover band of course..).

Coming to late in the Arvo, I found my two of my friends from SFX at the concert, Adele and Anna, who we stayed with the rest of that night. When it stared to rain and get all yuck, we retreated to a little bar on the edge of town to wait for Chris’s mum to come and get us. Around 1:30 she came, and back we went to Chris’s house.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb