Peaceful Bruges


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Flemish Brabant » Leuven
July 4th 2014
Published: July 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day trip to Bruges. The best word to describe this city is peaceful. Tree lined canals, cobblestone streets, old homes. This city requires more than a short day to really explore it. But all we have is today so off we went.

The city is famous for mussels (sadly out of season), chocolate (always in season!), beer (also always in season), and lace. Since mussels were off the list we had Flemish Stew for lunch. A delicious beef stew with a dark, rich gravy made with beer. Absolutely delicious.

We took a tour of the only brewery in Bruges. It has been family owned and operated for six generations. Lots of antique equipment on sight and a beautiful vista from the rooftop. The tour was quite informative. They stressed that beer is vitally necessary and contributes to a well-balanced life pattern. Nerves, muscles, and healthy skin are enhanced by drinking beer, so when the tour was over we had a dose of their healthy beverage.

Many shops sell handmade lace and several have an exhibit showing a work in progress. Talk about tedious -- I understand why the lace is so expensive. I can't imagine how long it would take to complete a project. What an art.

The highlight of the day in the city was getting to go inside a windmill. This one was used for grinding grain. Imagine -- inside a windmill! Now that was pretty cool.

One last stop before catching the train to go back to Leuven -- CHOCOLATE!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Making LaceMaking Lace
Making Lace

Each wooden bobbin is wrapped with thread which is attached to a stickpin. This piece had hundreds of bobbins and pins. Incredible
Streets of BrugesStreets of Bruges
Streets of Bruges

Once away from the town square the city becomes quiet and peaceful


7th July 2014

Thank You!!
Thank you for sharing your trip. I love everything you are seeing, doing, drinking and eating.

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb