Stand up Wiener in Wien


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
July 12th 2014
Published: July 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

In the midst of this sophisticated, stylish, polished city there are stand up sausage and beer bars. The bratwurst sausages and local steigl beer were so good, we ate lunch there two days in a row!

We had two days to explore Wien (Vienna) a beautiful, historic city. We spent an afternoon with Fred and Trudy, a beautiful Viennese couple, who now call Canberra their home, and return to Vienna for a few months each year, probably to escape the Canberra winter. Fred and Trudy are friends of George and Jen. They took us to a fair ground that they went to as a young couple growing up in Vienna, the fairground will be 250 years old in 2016. The baby of the group, George, could not wait to ride the roller coasters! Fred handed his glasses to Trudy and rode the roller coasters right along side George! Did I mention that Fred is almost 80 years old?? After 4 rides George was a little green but Fred was going strong and managed to down a stein of beer in no time! The bier Garten at the fair ground is famous for its pork knuckle, and it didn't disappoint! Before this trip the thought of pork knuckle made me a little queasy, but it was delicious. We had Viennese potato salad, radish and cabbage with horseradish and mustard accompaniments.

Following the fun of the fairground Fred and Trudy took us by subway to a famous ice cream salon called Tichy. All I can say is the ice cream was so tantalisingly, mouth-wateringly delicious that all of us could have licked our bowls! And Fred? Well he had the biggest dish of ice cream and he ate the lot! We had a lovely evening with them.

Austria is famous for its schnitzels, strudels and ice cream and I can tell you they're all delicious! You may be thinking that all we were doing in Wien was eating, drinking and playing at fairgrounds but during our two days in Wien we walked 27.50 kilometres and took 39,147 steps...thank you fit-bit! time for a rest ....


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



15th July 2014

Looks like you're having an awesome time. I am sooooo envious!! Kris xx

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb