Ebensee


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Upper Austria » Ebensee
June 10th 2013
Published: June 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Around the top end of Lake OffenseeAround the top end of Lake OffenseeAround the top end of Lake Offensee

A lovely quiet spot around the top end of the lake. No doubt stunning on a sunny day.
Linds has found that his bike gives him sore wrists so another was to come from Obertraun (where we'll be in a few days). While we waited for the bike we headed off to explore Ebensee and do a circuit around the river on foot. The path we thought we'd take was washed out so we walked the road up the river to a bridge then back through farms and little lanes back to Rosenhof. By which time it was midday. Catherine had made our lunches to have at the house or take with us. We opted for half in half - some now, some later. We are certainly getting a nice selection in our lunch bags - filled rolls, fruit, a muesli bar and a fruit drink.

We then sorted out the new bikes. They are bigger and not the mountain bikes we had - more like a trail cum road bike. Only problem is they are 21 gears and not 27 as before. However, they are more comfortable with not so much weight on the bum and wrists.

We set off up the valley, under the main highway and headed up a valley to the Offensee (Lake
The trail bikesThe trail bikesThe trail bikes

The bikes were a bit heavy and not easy going uphill
Offen). I guess from the house, around the lake and back again was about 30kms. The road was a gradual climb along a deep river valley until reaching the lake sitting back in a steep basin surrounded on all sides by a wall of rock reaching up into snow and the clouds. It certainly had atmosphere and was no doubt a fabulous blue on a nice sunny day. It was in fact a cool day looking like rain so it was very calm, cool, overcast and moody. We should have walked around the lake, but no-one was around so we biked.

Going back was a piece of cake and we could fly downhill all the way. Karilyn would have loved it - 10kms downhill flatout! It was more like riding a motorbike than a bike.

Strangely, I found using a big ring at the front with the smallest at the back (3&1) was easier than winding fast with a 1&1 gear. This bike is not great for the hills but fine for an incline, flat or downhill.

The weather has cooled and it could be raining tomorrow. Hope not. Don't fancy 40+km in the rain.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb