Österreich of fail


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Reutte
July 24th 2008
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We set out for Austria with a few modest goals in mind: a picture at the border, some chocolate for Horst at a local grocery store, a snack of traditional Kaiserschmarrn (a sweet, eggy, fluffy pancake with raisins), dinner at a chicken restaurant, and cheap diesel.

One out of five ain't bad?

For some reason, the attractive EU signage for the Austrian border is like a kilometer back in Germany, i.e., not at the border, so we missed it. We settled for the actual sign at the actual border, which does say Österreich but Ramona was quite upset that it was uglier than the EU sign.

The grocery store was geschlossen (closed)!

By this time, owing to the extremely long wait we had before our Neuschwanstein tour, it was really too late for Kaiserschmarrn especially considering we'd be having dinner after that.

The chicken restaurant was closed due to the proprietors being on vacation.

But, we did purchase relatively inexpensive diesel. Of course, we had to drive 2 hours each way to get it, AND the price in Germany dropped within the next 48 hours to be the same as we'd paid in Austria.

Make that 0.5 out of five. 😉

Back into Germany, we stopped in a tiny Bavarian village and Horst asked a passerby for directions to the local pub. Win! The food was fantastic... I got my favorite Schweinhaxe (pork knuckle), and was able to try a few bites of delicious Käsespätzle (cheesy noodles). Laura, our little carnivore, LOVED the Haxe and was happy to help me finish it. Satt (full) and happy for the drive back to Nördlingen!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

OMG there are cows in the streetOMG there are cows in the street
OMG there are cows in the street

We stopped for dinner at a pub in an unbelievably charming German village. I was just pointing out the little girl across the street learning to ride a unicycle, when this herd of cows came ambling down the street, followed by their farmer.


2nd August 2008

Moo!
ZOMG COWS Just kinda chilling in the street I see

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb