Sightseeing in Austria (Day Three)


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
March 10th 2009
Published: March 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Crystal and ICrystal and ICrystal and I

away we go...Austria or bust!
We woke up early on Tuesday and boarded a bus for the 3 hour drive to Innsbruck. The ride went pretty fast and there was plenty of neat things to see along the way. Upon arriving in Innsbruck, we ended up taking a brief bus tour of the city seeing the bell foundry, landhaus, as well as some other interesting stores. We ended up at Basilica Church where we entered and heard the history of the church. The use of color and gold was prominent throughout the church. It also was colder inside than it was outside. After hearing all about it we snapped some pictures in front of it as well as the cemetery adjacent to it and a nice shot of the Olympic ski jump across the way on the mountain top.

We then headed over to the bus parking and embarked on our walking tour through the gorgeous city. First stop we hit after we moseyed through a neat park was Landestheater. The theater was across from the Imperial Palace and next to a very interesting fountain. Next stop was St James Cathedral, which was exquisite inside and out. we then cruised along strolling down the quaint and narrow streets over to the Golden Roof. Which was the last stop on our walking tour. We then had a couple hours to take in the city on our own, so we being the youngsters we are opted to climb the 149 narrow stairs to the top of the City Tower. Let me just tell you, I'm out of shape! The view from the top was amazing though and we captured many shots overlooking the city. After we made our way down the 149 stairs, we cruised down the street to the gorgeous Triumphal Arch. By this time we were in need of a bite to eat and to get some souvenir shopping done before having to meet back at the bus. So being our time was short we hit good ole McDonalds! After that we found some great t-shirts and shot glasses and walked back to the bus. As we walked through the quaint little park again we decided to snap a few pictures of us playing.

The next stop was Wattens Austria to see the Swarovski Crystal Museum and Store. This stop was an absolute treat. Everything inside was mad of crystal and in a variety of shapes and sizes. There was even a crystal room which was like a giant kaleidoscope. We were fortunate enough to be able to see the exhibit when it had Brazil as its specialty country, which boasted a very interesting exhibit and even offered a show of the Brazilian dance, capoeira (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira). After the museum portion we hit the store and I probably took as many pictures there as I did inside the museum. After looking through the store we hit the café and had some great Austrian beer, which comes in his and her sizes. We then went outside to the back part where there was a maze (yes baby you were right) as well as a playground and a small stream. We took in some of the sights but didn’t have much time for playing as the bus was ready for departure.




Additional photos below
Photos: 245, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

riding to Austriariding to Austria
riding to Austria

oooh a substation, damn im looking at work stuff in other countries
riding to Austriariding to Austria
riding to Austria

crossing the "bruck"
riding to Austriariding to Austria
riding to Austria

Basilica Church and the monestary
riding to Austriariding to Austria
riding to Austria

Basilica Church
bus tour in Austriabus tour in Austria
bus tour in Austria

bell foundary
bus tour in Austriabus tour in Austria
bus tour in Austria

bell foundary
bus tour in Austriabus tour in Austria
bus tour in Austria

which way should we go
bus tour in Austriabus tour in Austria
bus tour in Austria

which way do we go?


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0982s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb