Road Trippin'


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg
July 18th 2014
Published: July 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


BudapestBudapestBudapest

The Danube river and the Budapest House of Parliament
After saying goodbye to Csaba we set off for several long driving days. Our first stop was Budapest (not such a long drive). We had an afternoon and evening in Budapest (pronounced Budapesht), it's a pretty city perched on the river Danube. After checking into our hotel (this hotel room has been the smallest room so far, only a little bigger than a cupboard) we set off walking to see the city sites, first up the central area of the city, old old buildings, combined with modern architecture which just seems to work. After lunch we crossed the river on one of the city's historic bridges to see the castle on top of the hill of course, we had a great view of the city, the river and the Budapest Houses of Parliament.

Next morning we were up early and on our way to Salzburg, we estimated this to be about 500 kilometres, but with the speed limits exceeding 120 kilometres plus, it should take a little over 4 1/2 hours driving, not including stops...another big day. We stopped for lunch at a little Austrian town called Passbaum, naturally Jen and I made friends with the locals at the bar and we were invited to have shots with them, mind you the locals didn't speak English ....somehow 'shot' is a universally understood word I think. Uh oh jeigermeister times 2, followed by schnapps shots I think. Jen is a trouper she downed those shots in know time flat. Me on the other hand, I faked it! I couldn't manage any more shots after my Morahalom experience😊.

Next stop Salzburg, Austria, Mozart's birth place. We arrived about 6pmand set off to explore the old town and walk along the river. Salzburg is very pretty, but we didn't stay long as our tour guide George had a very big day planned for us the next day. He had planned for us to drive back into Germany and see Eagle's Nest, which was built as a tea house for Hitler's 50th birthday, it is perched high on a mountain summit in the Bavarian Forest. We were told if the weather was bad to not bother going up to see it as you really can't see anything. That morning the weather was raining and overcast so we decided to keep driving to our next destination in Bavaria, Neuschwanstein castle, which was built as a retreat for Ludwig ll of Bavaria. Seven weeks after his death in 1886 it was opened to the public. In the summer time the castle has almost 6000 tourists a day. You will recognise this palace as it has appeared in many movies and was the inspiration for Disney's Sleeping Beauty.

George was on a mission this day as it was the final of the World Cup and no accident that we found ourselves back in Germany. We had accommodation booked on the border of Germany and Switzerland at Lake Constance, situated at the northern foot of the alps. No time to waste we literally dropped our bags and headed to the nearest pub. Germany was going off, it was a frenzy of World Cup final fever, you couldn't help get caught up in it as you can see by my pic of me snoozing after a huge few days (it was almost midnight after all). Germany deservedly won the final and it was great to see the excitement of the locals ..then it was off to bed. Switzerland awaits...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb