Thursday 6th Wachau Valley


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Lower Austria » Melk
September 6th 2012
Published: September 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Woke up in Melk for the tour of the Abbey. Stunning Baroque architecture, golden artifacts, art works and cathedral were we listened to the beautiful original organ being played. I always feel sorry for the relics of the saints dressed up in elaborate costumes laying about in glass cases trying to stay looking good for the rest of eternity. Afterwards we walked back through the lovely little village and through the woods to the boat where the crew had the BBQ fired up.

After lunch the Tour de Wachu paleton (21) helmeted up for their 32km bike road through this georgeous valley another UNESCO site rivaled only by the Rhine Valley. My choice was to stay on board for the commentary and the tasting of the wine grown in this region called grulier (green) veltliner. (very nice too). Between more beautiful castles and churchs we were able to catch glimpses of the Tour de Wachu racing through the valley. When we finally arrived at Durnstein the bikes were only 1/2 hr later. (They had stopped for a beer along the way) . We had a wander through the little village of Durnstein then a quiet evening. Big day tomorrow as we arrive in Vienna.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb