Hammocks, poker and scooters in Panama


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After two flights, we arrived late evening in Panama City. We were hit by the change of temperature and were ready to embrace the heat! We spent a day wondering around the historic centre, viewing the churches and scenery. We wondered down to the main shopping street and treated ourselves to $2 tops and $3 skirts.

We were recommended to see a mirador by the canal so we jumped on a public bus asking for the main terminal; we decided we could book our onward travel then get the correct bus to the mirador. Turns out we didn't get the right bus, after hour travelling out of the city (there was no stops to get off any earlier) our driver told it was too dangerous to get off so we paid for our return and spent another hour getting back to where we started. Not quite a successful trip but silver lining we saw the rural parts of the city. So we didn't miss out we called a taxi and headed to the mirador anyway. The view was beautiful, it looked back on the city landscape as the sun dropped. We stopped for a drink as we admired the view before heading back.

Our next stop was Boquette, a small town close to cloud forests and mountains. Being the wet season meant a lack of other tourists and 90% chance of rain everyday until November. Therefore we had the hostel to ourselves and found the mornings were gorgeously hot and the afternoons warm but very wet.

On our first night the hostel worker, Phil taught us how to play Texas hold 'em; we are now ready for the Vegas tables! After playing away our chips, we wondered from the hostel to the nearby pool hall. Lucille and I barely got a look in as Phil cleaned up every time but least we enjoyed trying to play.

The next day we left early to hike around the natural park by the volcano. Our taxi dropped us off at the closed trail so instead we decided to hike the way back to town. The scenery was lush green, tropical forests and we had moments swarmed by butterflies. We past coffee plantations and local farms as we admired the local lifestyles. The afternoon was spent with Spanish revision in a coffee shop out of the rain.   

With so many possible things to do in Boquette we decided to stay longer and hire scooters to drive around the area. Neither of us had driven motorbikes/scooters before and were honest with the rental guy; he was very relaxed and explained the basics. He highlighted how easy it was to over throttle initially as it takes a short delay for the movement to begin. We both proved this within the first 5mins. I'm sure his relaxed nature was tested as firstly Lu only checked one side of the road before bolting off with a car heading towards her in the near lane. He yells, 'watch out for cars' as I then follow by over accelerating nearly into a parked car. Luckily after the initial 5 mins we both quickly got to grips with it and enjoyed the morning accident free.

We spent the rainy afternoon with popcorn and Blade 3. We befriended a girl who arrived at the hostel, played more cards and then packed our bags for an early departure the next day. We crossed the border and headed into Costa Rica.


Sent from my iPod

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb