Dominica Study Abroad - Day 5


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Champagne Bay - Data Collection Day!Champagne Bay - Data Collection Day!Champagne Bay - Data Collection Day!

My first time wearing a wet suit. Not so easy to put on...
Today was the first day of data collection for the marine group. We all went to Champagne Bay with a 30 m transect line and two 1 m x 1 m quadrats. On our way to the beach, we saw several blue-spotted lizards. Dr. Heyman pointed out to us the effects of storms on rocks; the rock wall next to the beach had rocks jutting out of it at different points, indicating the varying storms that had occurred throughout the years.
We soon faced a problem with our transect line as it became tangled as soon as we hit the water. After a while, Reagan and Dr. Heyman were able to tie both ends to a rock. I also took a quadrat and tested it out while we were there. Collecting data proved to be a lot more difficult than we had expected. The quadrat had to be collected and placed every two meters along the transect line. The main problem with this was that the coral reefs at Champagne Bay are fairly deep, between 5-15 ft deep, so we had to constantly dive down to pick up the quadrat.
On our way back to ATREC, we stopped and
Setting upSetting upSetting up

Dr. Heyman teaching us how to tie knots.
gave rides to four Dominican boys. They were funny and gave us an interesting perspective on Dominican culture, to say the least.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Cool FishCool Fish
Cool Fish

You could guide these fish just by sticking your hands out. They reminded me of the huge school of fish in Finding Nemo.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb