virgin islands


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 28th 2010
Published: January 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Virgin Islands

Finally snorkelling and swimming, enjoying some fishing. I think that is why we came, apart from the fact it is horribly cold and wet at home. We had decided to go to Trellis bay for the bbq but when we got there, it was no longer going on. We had a good meal ashore, in the loose mongoose. A steak for me that did us for dinner the next day as well!
Trellis bay is right next to the airport on beef island, but this is not Heathrow, or Gatwick, this is a tiny airport with little interisland flights leaving in daylight hours. The gardens round the airport are full of humming birds, lizards, and chickens, some with little chicks. Trellis bay is quite an arty place, I loved the wind chimes made of driftwood, somehow all those things remind me of the film ‘twister’ and make me want to make some things that will move and rattle in the breeze. They have some amazing welded art work, it really is so unusual. They have a full moon party, and some amazing welded old buoys which they fill with fire.

Next day to Road Harbour. We had a calamity as we approached the marina dock, the outboard impeller went,. For people on yachts, your dinghy and outboard are like your car, you really rely on it for everything. In a way it was lucky that it went wrong in the largest town on the island, because nowhere else could we have got it mended. The guys who looked at it were amazing, and although they had to dismantle the whole thing, it was done as quickly and efficiently as possible, and soon we had a new impeller on the outboard. Next morning we quickly did our shopping and so on as the pilot came and told us we were in the way where we had anchored. By 10pm we were off on the long sea voyage to Peter Island, it was all off four miles, if that. We anchored in Great Bay, and so far, have been snorkelling twice, fantastic and colourful reef., then a long walk around the island past the very impressive Peter island resort, manicured beaches, a marina, a spa, a gym, tennis courts and a very nice beach bar where we had a drink on the way back. Shades of fantasy island but all the staff were friendly and polite…but we hardly saw any guests, perhaps with the financial situation and competition from places like the far east, Thailand, Maldives etc, it is so expensive here.

There are quite a few boats in the bay, some charter boats, a couple of big motor boats, and a few English flagged yachts.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb