st barts


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 16th 2010
Published: January 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

St Barts (st Bartelemey)


We had a very unusual experience coming here from Barbuda. We set off about 6am and the sea was glassy, and guesses what, we never had a breath of wind the whole trip. We motored all the way, arrived about 3pm, on the way Alan caught a lovely mahe mahe which we are looking forward to eating.

So we went ashore to the little port of Gustavia, the huge superyachts lined the quay., they were rolling and snatching on their lines, looked most uncomfortable, I was glad to be anchored out in the bay. Gustavia is a very attractive and up together little port. The immigration were charming, and we could use their computers to check in. We went to a corner bar, l’oublie and had a glass of wine and a beer, and did our internetting. Then we got the bill, 15 euros for two drinks…..we found the restaurant we went to before, in a lovely courtyard and booked a table for the evening. On the way back to the boat Alan saw Bruce Willis in a passing boat, thought it was someone he knew and then realised why. I don’t know why he never waved to us!!

Tying the dinghy up in the port, the boats were heaving and snatching in the swell, reminded me of the Mediterranean at times. We went for a short walk and saw loads of people internetting so decided to come back tomorrow and try it out. We got to the restaurant, a very pretty place set in a garden of tropical plants, with very well placed lighting, it was really nice. We had a very expensive slightly mediochre meal, We had lob ster spring rolls to start with, but they tasted a bit like the ones you get in the chin ease, then Alan had a noodle mixture and I tried the Wahoo, but it is very solid fish in chunks and dry, they had done their best with plantain and ginger but really it is not very easy eating.
On the way home we stopped to have a n ice-cream and a big coco loco for me. I slept like a log.

Today we hired a scooter and started off driving round the island. It is a very pretty island, but unfortunately we had not bee driving long when a huge rainstorm came. We hid under a tree for about half an hour watching the tortoises in the compound next to the road and then mad e a run for it, about half amile downt he road we came across a restaurant, set high above the hills, we went in and ordered French oinion soup and a pizza. The soup was 11 euros, and the two coffees afterwards were 9 euros!!! Still it was so cold I was beginning to shiver, gradually the rain stopped and we carried on.
We had a very good trip round the island and stopped a a lovely beach where I had a swim. The island is small but very hilly, and lush, the houses are pretty with the gingerbread trim to the roves. Lots of resorts and hotels, and loads of restaurants. Then all round the island, back to the tiny airport to buy fuel and then back to the boat, much cooler today, a good day.

Our coughs seem to be coming back, and my ear has been agony so may have to see a doctor in st martins, hope not. More later


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb