rain rain go away


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 7th 2010
Published: January 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

so i know what your thinking; "what are you doing in roatan? i thought you were going to Utila.." and you would be 100% right.. so here's what happened: i got on a cab to drive to the port in La Ceiba, and when i got there, i missed the boat to Utila (by about 2 minutes), and i had about 3 minutes before missing the boat to Roatan, so.... my options:
1. wait 6 hours at a port with nothing to do to get on the next boat to Utila
2. hop on the boat to Roatan..

of course, i made the executive decision to through all my planning out the window, and go with the flow, hence, i'm writting this from west end, roatan.

the boat ride took a little over an hour, and was quite rough, but nothing that a bag full of leche fruit and conversations with some interesting charecters couldn't cure. from the main port at Roatan, to "west end", where i'm at, its about a 20-30 minute, and highly scenic cab ride = $8, the lesson in all sorts of dirty phrases in spanish by the cab driver was free..

I love this place, its a fun little tropical paradice. my goal is two-fold, first i want to try to get in as many scuba dives as possible, and get trained as a rescue diver, and also, my goal is to acheive some tranquility and forget about engineering and the job market (correction: the absence of the job market).

so when i got here i got with a dive shop, and did a refresher course (it had been a year and a half since my last dive) - that was 2 days ago.

yesterday i got down, really down (about -90ish feet down) for 3 pretty nice dives. I got a good deal on the dives, and room is included with dives (although its dorm room style with 6 other chaps, but its very shanty).. sightings so far: giant turtle, morray, eals, lobstars, crabs, angle fish,

the evening was cool, i hung out with one of my roomates, hondurain born, but educated in SC, and now has a business installing blue and green LED lights in bars and resorts.. its kind of funny i finished my research in which i was interviewing construction companies about their organizations, and practice, and here i am on my vacation, learning all about his subcontractor organization.

couldn't dive this morning because it was too rainy, so i took a bus to town (Coxin hole), for some supplies. Tomorrow 4 cruse ships are scheduled to come to roatan, so it might get a little crazy.

i guess i'm supposed to find myself here.. (isn't that why people travel solo?), but i've never really considered myself lost. besides does that really mean anything? obviously not physical, we always know where we are.

ok, so the idea is to figure out who you "really" are by virtue of being in other surroundings? i don't buy into it. actually, maybe i'm too old too look for myself..


more photos coming next entry...

Advertisement



7th January 2010

omg that sounds so amazing! i've always found that cab drivers are either really creepy or have the absolute best stories and its usually the second. but yah i'm glad the spanish is going well! god, i miss the ocean and the beach. its been too long. its so much easier to clear your mind when you're surrounded by the ocean. i mean, finding who you are is always so much harder than what its cracked up to be. its weird--i've always had to find out what i'm really looking for to actually find (or remember) myself. if that makes any sense. i guess finding yourself is the same as finding happiness or finding equilibrium. but then again thats just me. i'm sure its different for other people. and as for being too old to look for yourself-- i really hope that you can never be too old to look for yourself because "yourself", like everything else in the world, is subject to change. we should have this conversation when i get to see your face! i miss you so much. :)monique p.s. yay!more pictures!!
8th January 2010

So happy that we are in touch at least I know where you are in the world.You did not mention the temp.It is really cold here. I have the heat on.Hope you are diving wth a buddy. and come up slowly. love

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb