Lake Nicaragua


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
December 10th 2009
Published: December 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Lake NicaraguaLake NicaraguaLake Nicaragua

Kayaking on Lake Nicaragua
Had a fantastic morning kayaking on Lake Nicaragua. Just us two and a local guide who took us into the mangroves to see all the different islands, some as tiny as a garage and others much bigger with people living on them. Absolutely boiling so probably not the best idea to go at 11am but we found shade where we could and just enjoyed the tranqullity of the area. The guide kept trying to persuade us to get off the kayaks and swim in the lake. 60 years ago no one could swim in the lake as it was over populated with bull sharks, now after a few decades of Japanese fishing and these creatures are far more rare but we were not taking our chances!

Back in Granada for the afternoon and saw our first rain storm for a month and when it goes here it really hammers down. Really weird as we could see the rain down at the lake and then it literally moved up the street so people were dashing in shops and restaurants as fast as they could!

Off to the coast tomorrow to San Juan del Sur where we hope see some good
Lake NicaraguaLake NicaraguaLake Nicaragua

Kirsty relaxing on the lake
surfing, they were expecting some of the big swells that Hawaii recently had so definitely will be spectating for us! Also hope to go turtle watching at night while we are there as it is just at the end of the hatching season so should be amazing to see.

After that we will be just an hour from the Costa Rica border where we plan to hopefully see Tamarindo, Mal Pais on the Nicoya Peninsular and then catch our water ferry back to Heradura just up the road from our home at Jaco.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Magic FlowerMagic Flower
Magic Flower

A magic flower picked for us by the guide
Lake NicaraguaLake Nicaragua
Lake Nicaragua

Lillie pads
Loch Ness islandLoch Ness island
Loch Ness island

Resting at Loch Ness island
NeilNeil
Neil

Neil enjoying the kayaking
Lake NicaraguaLake Nicaragua
Lake Nicaragua

Kids enjoying the water


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb