Guatemala- Week 1


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mystic MayansMystic MayansMystic Mayans

Climbed this ruin, along with 5 others. One of the most amazing things I have ever experienced in Tikal, Guatemala.
Guatemala was an eye-opening experience for me. I decided to go with a friend of mine to meet his family and see the country.
We flew into Guatemala city and were picked up by my friend's uncle. We hooked up with three teachers from our high school that flew there the day before. After much disscussion we decided to travel before we went to visit the family of my friend. We rented a van and drove off.
Lago Atitlan was our first stop and we made it just before it became dark. The weather was wet and cloudy. We could barely make out the volcano accross the lake. We choose a hotel at a steal of a price: $13 dollars. After washing up, we took off to a bar. It was one of the teacher's birthday. This hole in the wall bar was fun. Packed like sardines, we told the waiter it was her birthday. After a bucket of Gallo (the Guatemalan choice for beer) the waiter brought out a flaming shot for our friend. She freaked out and spilled the shot on the table. They brought out another one and she took it. Our night ended by
Lago AtitlanLago AtitlanLago Atitlan

After driving through the dangerous curves of Guatemalan roads, we came upon this breathtaking view of Lago Atitlan.
us going to the hotel and sleeping.
We woke up to a beautiful sight. It was a sunny clear day. We could see the volcano. After breakfast, we decided to drive to Rio Dulce. On the way we stopped in Antigua to visit the church. It was beautiful. We drove all day stopping only a few times. We arrived after dark and stopped at a few hotels until we found a deal. We put our bags in the rooms and had dinner and swam in the hotel's pool. On the way back, I found a giant taranchula outside of my room. As we were admiring it, a worker at the hotel came by and stepped on the spider. We were in too much of shock to say anything and went to bed.
I woke up multiple times during the night sick, and in the morning I opted to be the picture-taker while everyone went swimming in the river. Our drive for today would take us up to Tikal. We got there about halfway during the day and decided to try the ziplines before we saw the ruins. It was fun but crazy hot and muggy. We entered the
Natural BeautyNatural BeautyNatural Beauty

The colors of these trees in Guatemala were stunning!
park as it began to rain. That wasn't going to stop us.
The rain gave off a mystical feeling as we walked into the park. Other guests were leaving which meant we would be alone. We walked from ruin to ruin and became more and more amazed. We climbed as many as we could. One ruin was so high, at the top you could see over the whole rainforest. It was amazing to think that people made this without the tools of today. The sounds of the rain and howler monkies added to the awe.
After getting intouch with our wild sides, we took up shelter in another hotel. We ate dinner and relaxed in the hammocks.
Our drive the next day would take us to the small town of Juitapa, Guatemala. This is where my friend grew up with his grandparents for 13 years (he hadn't seen them in 5 years before this trip). This is where we would be spending most of our time for the next month.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

"Hello""Hello"
"Hello"

This pretty bird greeted us at our hotel in Rio Dulce, Guatemala.
Gato in the WindowGato in the Window
Gato in the Window

The small, and only window in this house in Jutiapa, Guatemala was where this feline decided to rest.
Big BoyBig Boy
Big Boy

This Brama bull in a field in Jutiapa, Guatemala was the biggest I had ever seen!


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb