Second World Cruise - Acapulco, Huatulco and Guatemala


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 21st 2006
Published: February 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Acapulco DiverAcapulco DiverAcapulco Diver

Dick cropped this picture to show a cliff diver close up in action. They were quite a sight.
ACUPULCO

Dick and I left Greenville, SC a few days ago for our second world cruise aboard the Crystal ship Serenity. This is a large beautiful ship that holds about 1000 passengers, with about 800 aboard at present. I think about 280 of us are doing the entire cruise, which left from Los Angeles Jan. 17 and will dock near London on May 5. This year we will go to South America, Easter Islands, Tahiti, New Zealand, Australia, Africa, Dubai, Egypt and some ports in Europe. Not much overlap with last year.

The first segment of our cruise has been from Los Angeles to Mexico and Guatemala. To see our route so far, click "Route Map"above.

While cruising toward Mexico Dick and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary with cake, ice cream and balloons that we shared with our tablemates at dinner. One of the things we like about the Serenity is that dinner seating is fixed, which means we eat with the same people every night and get to know them. If all goes well - as it certainly has so far - we all become fast friends.

Our first stop was Acapulco in Mexico, set
Veiw from the ship of Acapulco Veiw from the ship of Acapulco Veiw from the ship of Acapulco

Most of Acapulco is just a gritty little Mexican city, but the setting is spectacular, with high blue mountains in the distance and the blue and turquoise water of the ocean and the bays.
in wide crescent-shaped Acapulco Bay and surrounded by green hills and rugged cliffs. Most people have seen pictures of divers leaping off the high cliff into the ocean below. Our tour guide made sure we saw them, first taking us through the beautiful El Mirador Hotel with its multilevel swimming pools and white beach. From there we climbed steps to the outdoor bar clinging on the rocks below the diving cliff. Half a dozen young men jumped in the water below us and climbed the 150-foot cliff above us. One by one they leaped off the cliff past the boulders below, then executed perfect swan dives into the 12-foot surf breaking on the rocks below. The guide said their dives had to be carefully planned to hit the deepest part of the waves, or else they might be killed.

We toured the halls above the lovely bay, with the guide pointing out some of the 400 resorts and the homes of first-name celebrities who lived there - at least part of the time. It seems Acapulco became a famous resort only after WW2, with the construction of a new road from Mexico City that brought in flocks of Mexican
Acapulco MusicianAcapulco MusicianAcapulco Musician

This handsome fellow was in a small band that entertained us with Mexical music when we paused for a cool drink under a thatch shelter overlooking the bay below. It was OK in the shade, but very hot walking in the sun. Dick reminded me that we're getti;ng near the equator.
tourists. The rest of the world soon followed.

The entire Pacific coast of Mexico looks pretty rugged. The Andes Mountains, the backbone of the country, follows the coast all the way down. This makes for spectacular views from the hills and mountains above the bays and harbors.

HUATULCO

After an overnight cruise, we stopped at Huatulco (wha-TOOL-co), a small community on the southern Mexican coast below Acapulco. Huatulco is a resort-in-the-making, said to be the next Acapulco because of its beautiful rugged setting on the coast, but right now the Mexican tourist industry is just getting it off the ground. At Huatulco we took a van tour that went up in the hills above the town and gave us some beautiful views of the bay below plus the resorts and homes over looking it.

GUATEMALA

Guatemala was a short morning's stop, so Dick and I were satisfied just to walk up the dock to a bustling collection of little tourist traps that Dick called the Guatemala Wal-Mart. It was hot as blazes in the near-equatorial sun, so I broke out my little paper umbrella from Thailand and was fairly comfortable. Dick went bareheaded and wilted
Mary and friendMary and friendMary and friend

The members of the band were delighted to pose for pictures.
rapidly, but he took a flock of nice pictures before retreating to the air conditioned ship. There are no cities or famous ruins close by, so it seems to attract birdwatchers and other animal lovers who don't mind trekking through the jungle afoot or on ATVs.

We’ll try to post more notes as we see more of the South American coast. Next stop is Ecuador, where we’ll get off the ship for a three-day tour of the Galapagos Islands. I’m really looking forward to this, and I know Dick will get some great pictures of the animals. TTYL!

PS to Marion D - Hi Marion, we've wondered where you are! We'll see you in April! Dick and Mary



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Cliff DiverThe Cliff Diver
The Cliff Diver

This picture gives a better idea of the high cliff 130 feet above the water. The diver must first leap out far enough to clear the boulders below, and then he morphs into a perfect swan dive into rough 12-foot surf below. The dive must be precisely timed to catch the surf at its deepest.
Acapulco DancersAcapulco Dancers
Acapulco Dancers

After the diving exhibition, we were entertained by a troup of Mexican dancers.
The DiversThe Divers
The Divers

The divers lined up on the steps as we left and gladly accepted tips. Our guide said none of them have been killed diving off the cliffs, but dislocated shoulders and retina problems are not uncommon.
Acapulco MexicoAcapulco Mexico
Acapulco Mexico

Another view of Acapulco and the mountains surrounding the city, with the Mexican flag in the foreground.
Huatulco BoatsHuatulco Boats
Huatulco Boats

View of the Huatulco port from our ship.
Crystal SerenityCrystal Serenity
Crystal Serenity

A view of our home, the Crystal Serenity, from the hills of Huatulco.
Huatulco HotelHuatulco Hotel
Huatulco Hotel

A typical big-ticket resort hotel. Our guide took us through a hilly resort area near Huatulco full of gorgeous homes and hotels.
View from Huatulco HotelView from Huatulco Hotel
View from Huatulco Hotel

This shows the million-dollar view from the Huatulco hillside above the bay.
Guatemalan Wal-MartGuatemalan Wal-Mart
Guatemalan Wal-Mart

At the little port of Puerto Quetzal in Guatemala. Dick called this the "Wal-Mart" because of the many booths where the locals hawked their rainbow-hued table runners, potholders, dresses, scarves, jewelry and other tourist goodies.
Guatemala ChildGuatemala Child
Guatemala Child

This mother and child was a photo op we couldn't pass up. Mom was collecting a tidy sum from the gringoes who took pictures for a dollar a pop. She said her baby was 6 months old and named "Leslie."
Guatemala WeaverGuatemala Weaver
Guatemala Weaver

As proof their wares were genuine handmade, one enterprising family brought along a member who demonstrated weaving on the spot. Her loom was entirely handpowered and she plied it like an expert.


28th January 2006

Great to hear from you!
This sounds like a good start to a heavenly trip around the world! Happy Anniversary!
29th January 2006

Are you online?
Dick is wearing a black shirt and you have on light blue plaid. Love, Kathy 4:06 EST
31st January 2006

Congratulations!
Well, you've made it through the 1st year, which is supposed to be the most difficult. But since you have been cruising most of the year, what could be hard about it??? Anyway, its wonderful to get your blogs, and follow along on your trips. Thank you so much for keeping me on the list. I will be cruising the Med. and the Greek Isles this summer, hope it is as much fun as yours have been. Love, Ann

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0804s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb