A hip place to stay on Turks & Caicos...The Gansevoort


Advertisement
Published: April 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

My wife and I just returned from a three night excursion at Wymara’s recently unveiled Gansevoort Turks & Caicos, a clear contender for the title of TCI’s hippest spot. Our journey began with a direct flight that departed Philly mid-morning, and arrived in Providencia, TCI in about 3 short hours. Twenty minutes later we were poolside - cocktails in hand - as the warm relaxing trade winds circulated. Our senses were further stimulated by the resort’s mellow soundtrack of ambience music, piped softly throughout the grounds and beachfront by an array of outdoor speakers. The day’s transition from the cold crowded Northeast to this ultra-luxe Caribbean destination was both surreal and heavenly.

Provo Island’s decade-long building boom has indeed resulted in some comfortable vacation properties. Sadly, however, most of these resorts are informed, from an architectural standpoint, by Disneyland. There are an abundance of low- and mid-rise expansive complexes that appear to be contrived, stretched out versions of the idealized Caribbean abode. Wymara took an entirely different approach with their property: luxurious, indeed; but instead of opting for the faux this-and-that, the aesthetics are cutting-edge modern. The exterior and interior lines of this mid-size resort are clean and minimalistic, but at the same time warm and inviting (those who have had the pleasure of staying at Manhattan’s Gansevoort Hotel have experienced this mix). At the property’s core is a “zero entry” rectilinear infinity pool, featuring teak-decked islands that serve as lounging platforms by day, and dining areas by night. As for the dining: the on-site restaurant is wonderful. Both the food and service are top-notch and worth the splurge.
We stayed in an ocean-front ground-level room, which featured a Jacuzzi tub, a separate extra large shower stall (with a rainfall shower head), a kitchenette, flat screen TV, and a huge sliding glass window that opens wide to let the outside in. Décor is sleek and minimalistic, with lots of limestone and dark finished wood. There is plenty of drawer and closet space (in case you decide to move it). The bed is very comfortable, as was the chez longue. Other rooms featured patios or balconies.

Without exception, the staff members we encountered were friendly and eager to please. Our sense was that there attitude was genuine and they weren’t just putting on a show. The employees were helpful - but they did not “hover” - and a sense of privacy abound. Our fellow guests were primarily American and French, and the bulk appeared to range in age from upper 20s to upper 50s, with thirty-somethings composing the means. Though the resort does not overtly hold itself out as “family friendly”, there were a few very-well-behaved children among the guests who, to the credit of their attentive parents, didn’t detract a bit from the chill atmosphere.
The property’s beachfront features a well-stocked boutique-style cabana bar and an attentive staff. The beach is stocked with plenty of umbrellas and seating, including several outdoor loveseats. A short walk on the sand can take you to a number of dining options at adjacent resorts (at a variety of price points). Five minutes on foot takes you to the Blight Reef, where just off the shore I did some snorkeling among sea turtles (a first for me), sting rays, and schools of colorful fish. Watch out, though, for the prickly spines of the sea urchins that line the sea floor.

Our three night stay (although shorter than we would have liked) ranks among our best island excursions to date. The price tag for the Gansevoort might be a little more than some of TCI’s more conventional accommodations, but the Gansevoort, after all, is not merely a place to stay. It is an experience unto itself.

-E Ascalon

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb