Turks and Caicos Islands


Advertisement
Published: December 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Port of Calls Port of Calls Port of Calls

shopping area
We just got back from Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands. The total time that we were there was eleven days, and we had a great time!!!!! Here's how it is. It is a very clean and quiet island. The two main roads are Grace Bay Road, which is where the vast majority of touristy things are, and Leeward Highway. The latter is a very busy highway with very little to no sidewalk to walk on; we know first hand!!!!! The currency that is used on the island is the US Dollar, although Turks and Caicos is still a British Protectorate. Many of the businesses on the island are owned by either Americans, Candadians, or British citizens. The majority of the workers for the hotels are from all over, a relatively small percentage are from the Turks and Caicos, a much much larger percentage are from Haiti, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, and there are quite a few Philipinos who operate rather successful businesses on the island.

It is quite safe to walk around at any time of the day or night; however, tourists may want to stay out of the Kingstown district in the evening. The tourist shops close up by 6:00 pm and some of them do not even open up on Sunday. If you go to Provo, you should check out Mama's right at the Port of Calls shopping area, she has great deals in here store. For that matter, there are several stores to shop at in that area, and all are well-stocked with t-shirts, tank tops, swimwear, touristy items, etc, etc. Try Caicos Adventures, which is a double-store and probably has one of the highest quality of clothing lines in that area. Another good shop is Dive-Provo, which is right next to the Comfort Suites. There is a small convenience store in there also called Neptune Nectar's but the woman has a bit of an attitude in there.
In that plaza there are also places to eat, Giggles, which is an ice cream shop has excellent ice cream and candy. Jimmy's Dive-In, Calico Jack's, and The Big Bamboo all are great places to eat. Jimmy's and Calico Jack's have a bar type atmosphere along with dining, and they both stay open until later 1 or 2 in the morning, which is a diffucult thing to find in Provo. The only other place that stays open later is Danny Buoy's, which is on Grace Bay Road, close to the Salt Mills shopping plaza, and they stay open until about 3 am and later on Saturdays. Danny Buoy's is really the only place that stays open late, at least in that area. There is a new health-food type deli, with great deserts right across the street from the Casablanca Casino on Grace Bay Road, and is certainly worth a visit.

We stayed at the Comfort Suites, which offers a large continental breakfast daily for guests. The rooms are just fine there, but I did have some disappointment with the hotel. First of all, Jennifer, the front desk clerk really needs to find another job; she is very unhappy there, and it shows very very clearly. Second of all, they let all of these locals hang out at the bar all day and night, which gives the hotel a bit of a 'seedy' atmosphere. The pool looked nice, although we never used it. The beach was just a short walk away.

Provo was a great place, although a bit more expensive than I would have liked, we had a great time, and would return, and
Port of CallsPort of CallsPort of Calls

shopping/dining
I would recommend it as a vacation destination.

JAMES DALPHONSE, TRAVEL AGENT



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

On the way to the beachOn the way to the beach
On the way to the beach

shayne frederick
Turquoise watersTurquoise waters
Turquoise waters

Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands
Going to Mackey's RestaurantGoing to Mackey's Restaurant
Going to Mackey's Restaurant

Great restaurant in Provo
Dive-Provo ShopDive-Provo Shop
Dive-Provo Shop

great t-shirts in there, and they arrange diving
Caicos Adventures Caicos Adventures
Caicos Adventures

great place to shop is right here!!!!!!!!!!!
Candian TouristsCandian Tourists
Candian Tourists

they wanted their picture taken, so I did
James Dalphonse an d Shayne FrederickJames Dalphonse an d Shayne Frederick
James Dalphonse an d Shayne Frederick

at the wall in Providenciales


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb