Background: The islands were part of the UK's Jamaican colony until 1962, when they assumed the status of a separate crown colony upon Jamaica's independence. The governor of The Bahamas oversaw affairs from 1965 to 1973. With Bahamian independence, the islands received a separate governor in 1973. Although independence was agreed upon for 1982, the policy was reversed and the islands remain a British overseas territory.
Blogs from Grand Turk
Latest Blogs from Grand Turk
- May 15th 2013 Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay
by Words: 1318 Photos: 11
- May 9th 2013 Beaches Turks and Caicos
by Words: 581 Photos: 0
- January 13th 2013 5 Day Caribbean on the Carnival Destiny
by Words: 4920 Photos: 21
- June 28th 2012 Day 14 - Carnival Miracle Cruise (Day # 6)
by Words: 727 Photos: 10
- March 10th 2012 Grand Turk – Day 9
by Words: 1455 Photos: 5
- January 8th 2012 Caribbean Cruise Underway
by Words: 558 Photos: 0
- May 10th 2010 Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos
by Words: 544 Photos: 28
- February 27th 2010 From snowbound to sun-drenched sands.... a winter respite in the Turks and Caicos
by Words: 1871 Photos: 37
- November 24th 2009 Grand Turk
by Words: 603 Photos: 9
- May 7th 2009 The Girls Ride the Wave . . .
by Words: 431 Photos: 7
- March 26th 2009 Riding the Grand Turk Wave . . .
by Words: 692 Photos: 14
- June 5th 2008 One Last Day In The Sun and Sea . . .
by Words: 350 Photos: 17
- April 11th 2007 Shortest Port Day Yet . . .
by Words: 242 Photos: 4
- January 17th 2007 Wasting Away in Margaritaville
by Words: 266 Photos: 5
- January 13th 2007 The island of salt and sand . . .
by Words: 340 Photos: 7