Bake N' Shark


Advertisement
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bake N' SharkBake N' SharkBake N' Shark

Jay enjoying his deliecious bake n' shark at Maracas Beach- yum!
Bake N' Shark is a local dish in Trinidad, and if you ask any Trini where to go to get the best bake n' shark on the island- they all tell you to go to Maracas Beach. Maracas Beach is not only one of the prettiest beaches on the island but is also the place where bake n' shark originated. So in our quest to experience the local culture and food, we decided to organize a trip to Maracas.

Now there is nothing baked in a bake n' shark, it is all fried- so the name is a little confusing. The young shark is marinated overnight and fried up fresh to order and served in a doughy bake, which is fried bread. It is then served with lots of yummy condiments- like shadon beni and pepper sauce, shredded cabbage slaw and tomatoes, then topped with avocado and pineapple slices. The result is a delicious shark burger. Everyone enjoyed lunch at Richard's Bake and Shark stand, and Jay loved it so much he ordered a second one before we left.

It was a wonderful day. Maracas Beach is on the north end of the island so we had to drive
Panoramic ViewPanoramic ViewPanoramic View

One of the beautiful views on the north end of Trinidad- on the way to Maracas Beach.
up and over the mountains to get there, thru the lush rain forest, and enjoyed many scenic views along the way. We also stopped at several small fruit and food stands along the way to pick up other local delights- like sugar apple and mamocilla (a fruit similar to lychee) and homemade coconut and cashew cakes (which was more like a brittle). After all that food we decided to go for a swim. Maracas has a beautiful palm tree lined beach with mocha colored sand and small stones worn smooth by the crashing waves. Although the water is brackish from the Orinoco River run-off, it was still very refreshing on this hot summer day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Rain ForestRain Forest
Rain Forest

Driving thru the rain forest of Trinidad- so beautiful!
Maracas BeachMaracas Beach
Maracas Beach

One of the best beaches in Trinidad- gorgeous!
Palm TreesPalm Trees
Palm Trees

Nothing says Caribbean Beach like Palm Trees.
Mocha SandMocha Sand
Mocha Sand

What an inviting beach- we were definitely ready for a dip in the ocean after lunch.


9th September 2008

BAKE 'N' SHARK
LOOKS NICE, SOUNDS GREAT, SEND ME THE RECIEPE. LOVE TO TRY THAT ONE..
7th October 2008

Bake n Shark
actually saw this on bizzare foods on the travel channel, made my mouth water.. one of the few things on bizzare foods that i was actually interested in trying!! looks amazing..
28th October 2008

Fish taco
Hi,looks just like some fish tacos I have had and shark is just another fish.Jay looks so happy.
7th January 2009

just have to say when I went to Trinidad I was amazed at how good the bake n shark was. I as well visited Maracas beach and it was a wonderful experience i highly suggest it for a nice vacation
9th February 2009

Eat the BakeNShark in Colorado!
You can get a great BakeNShark in Fort Collins, Colorado at Caribbean Food Shack!!! This restaurant is operated by a true Trini, Angela, and she makes the BakeNShark just like in Trini with all the special sauces! Yummy!!! Try it out!! It's in a gas station!! Campus West Shell just on the west side of the Colorado State University Campus. www.2mayto2mato.com check it out!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb