BEAQUIA, JUNE 30, 2010


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

GREETINGS FROM BEQUIA,

Hi everyone, sorry we haven't written in a few days, but we've busy with a wedding here. Everything went smoothly for Sunday's ceremony. We had a half dozen of our friends here on the island in attendance. It started raining just a couple of minutes before we were done, which was not a problem other than we couldn't get the photos we wanted afterwards because everything was all wet and cloudy.

The traditional wedding cake here is called "black cake" and it weighs a ton. We ordered a cake for 12, but it must have been big enough for 20 at least. Sarah took a few pictures for us (354 to be exact). We had a very beautiful, non-traditional ceremony right here at our villa. Malialani made a grand entrance down our 50 steps from the cottage to the pool. I sang a song to her and then we lit a unity candle while she read me a pretty poem. We then said our vows and exchanged rings followed by a lei exchange. One of the girls here on the island spent all morning making us fresh flower leis that were beautiful. We ended with a prayer and a kiss just as it started to rain. We had recorded music that played throughout the ceremony as we moved from one part of the ceremony to the next. Captain Lewis gave a very nice toast in our honor and by then the rain had stopped and we were able to get some more pictures. All and all it was the meaningful "Island Wedding" that we had looked forward to.

The honeymoon was cut short the next two days by some photo shoots at three villas, the beach, and the boat (another 600-700 shots). It was a good opportunity for the Team here to get some shots to promote their wedding packages with the various villas. One photo shoot took us to the very top of the island to Villa Mangwana that had the most spectacular views. Its amazing what the builders can do here on Bequia.

Last night we ate at a little local hole-in-the place called FERNANDO'S HIDEAWAY. We asked for a reservation at 6:30, but were told we could get in at 7:00. When we arrived, there was a table of 4 and a table of 5 that hadn't been served yet. We were seated and another table of three came in right after us. That was the rush hour for Fernando. Once everyone was there they started serving. (so I guess we were better off waiting until 7:00) There were three choices-chicken, fish, or pork. I had the honey coconut chicken and Malialani had the grilled snapper. They were both delicious. We were too full to partake of the coconut ice cream dessert.

Tomorrow is our last day here. We're up at the crack of dawn Friday to catch the 6:30 ferry to St Vincent and a 10:30 flight to San Juan, where we have an overnight stay before heading back to Oklahoma. So I guess we will see you all in a few days.

Ya Mon,
David & Malialani


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



14th July 2010

Pics
Congratulations on your wedding!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb