DAY 12-AUG 10


Advertisement
Published: August 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today I'm going on the day-long snorkel trip to the Tobago Cays know here just as "the cays" (pronounced Keys). We'll be sailing on "The Friendship", a 100 foot sailing schooner built right here in Bequia.

On board for the day is a variety of nationalities. We have French, Canadian, Swedish, Italian, British, and even another American. His name is James and he's a medical student on his way to Grenada for the coming semester. Sixteen adults and 5 kids. Just enough to be entertaining-not so much as to be annoying.

We board the ship at 7:am and are welcomed with a breakfast of fresh pineapple, mango, banana, and orange. there are fresh chocolate croissants and orange juice and coffee.

Once we've motored clear of the harbor its time to "hoist the sails" I never new hoisting was so much work, but apparently 20,000 square feet of canvas can get pretty heavy. I grab the rope and tug hand over fist and the higher the sail goes the heavier it gets (gee, I that makes sense) By the time the sail is half way up I'm having to put my whole body into it. I am sure glad to be done.

We sail around the SW corner of the island and get a good look at the "Moonhole" homes from the sea. Then its off to Canouan then the cays. Canouan is trying to bill itself as the new up and coming big money spot. Trump owns a casino there and they just built a bigger runway to accommodate larger planes. (there goes the neighborhood).

Along the way we are served quite an array of foods: starting with cheese and crackers and wine. (I pass on the wine). Lunch is roast chicken with ginger sauce, rice, and plantains. After lunch they pass around cold watermelon and coconut fudge. On the sail back home we are served ginger cookies, fried banana chips (like potato chips) and later when we're insight of Bequia, out comes hot banana cake with vanilla icing.

At the cays I get to swim with turtles. First one or two and then as many as 5 at once. We anchor within sight of the island that was used in filming "Pirates of the Caribbean, Curse of the Black Pearl." It's the spot where Captain Jack and Miss Swan are marooned and she burns all the rum. "why is all the rum gone?"

Before we weigh anchor the kids and I get some good dives off the railing of the boat. I ask Allen, "I don't suppose you allow passengers to climb the sail ladders and dive off?" "That's quite alright" he replies, "you look fairly fit and you haven't been drinking. You're traveling by yourself, so there shall be no one to sue if anything happens to you". "Just don't go too high" he cautions.

I try the second step, then the third, then the fourth. That's about 15 feet to the water and that feels quite high enough.

When we depart the cays and make open water I ask Allen if I could stand behind the wheel and take a picture to look like I'm steering the ship. He replies, "go ahead, I'll take your picture" I'm not going to relieve the Captain, you'll have to do that" Say's I (that's pirate speak). The captain is gracious to let me take the wheel and to my surprise I get to take the helm all the way to Canouan. That was about 45 minutes.

I tried not to sit there with a goofy smile on my face, but I couldn't help it. At first I kept over-correcting and we were going in a Z pattern, but soon I got the hang of it and had the time of my life. Check out my new profile photo on the blog opening page!

When I had been "relieved of command" I laid down for a good nap, but before I could get to sleep someone shouted "Dolphins". Yes, we had dolphins jumping off the starboard bow.

Safely back in the harbor, the girls in the office ask why we are running a bit late. I reply "it because of all the zig-zagging.

Another beautiful day in Bequia,
Yah mon,
David




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Capt. Jack CayCapt. Jack Cay
Capt. Jack Cay

"why is the rum all gone?"


11th August 2008

What great pics!
Wow...David...the pictures look like postcards. It is so beautiful! You are truly a native now....diving from the ship, steering the ship, swimming with turtles, raising the sails of the ship. About those turtles...do they bite...are they big. Dolphins are one of my favorites of the sea. That must of been great seeing them alongside the boat.
14th August 2008

Awesome!
You can "pass" the wine on to me, and the rest of what sounds like THE most incredible food!!! Love the reference to The Princess Bride :-o , and you look so at ease behind the wheel...

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb