Bequia


Advertisement
Published: February 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Bequia

We arrived in Bequia a few days before New Year’s Eve and anchored up with Maloo, Chilli Cat and Senta.

This huge bay is peppered with boats and we pushed ourselves in so we were close to Princess Margaret Beach. Gill always talked about one of his favourite pizzerias where they sold lobster pizza. Hence this of course that was our first mission to sample one of these culinary masterpieces! In all 14 of us sat down to a variety of pizzas watching the world go by in this pretty bay.

The next morning was my birthday so after a lovely breakfast we headed ashore with Maloo and Chill Cat to the turtle sanctuary. After stiff haggling we all climbed into a taxi to visit this shabby turtle sanctuary where we were greeted by the very grumpy founder! I don't think he had ever studied PR so we all had no choice but to listen about what he does and try to sound interested. It seemed abundantly clear that he was there not to benefit turtle research but to entrap tourists. The boys enjoyed seeing the little baby turtles (fed on tinned tuna) apart from Cameron who found it a lot more interesting to watch a well-endowed goat having "special cuddles" outside in the yard!

With grumbly tummies we went back into town and decide to grab a spot of lunch in a recommended restaurant where friends had eaten the day before. Well what can I say but “dead-ahead slow!” We all sat down and ordered a very basic lunch and still three hours later we were still waiting! It's not quite normal, but it is the Caribbean way and something we will have to get used to.



After some rest/disco nap we headed back into town with Chilli Cat and Maloo and tried to get into what was supposed to be the “jump up”, instead we went back to Chill Cat with the gang for yet more drinks. This was very nicely washed down with Mrs Maloo’s delicious carrot cake complete with candles and a glass of bubbly. The finale of the evening was the fireworks at midnight, which were not what we expected, with a huge twenty minute display over the bay. A perfect ending to a great day spent with our new friends.

After a few days of lounging and playing on the lovely beach we left Bequia along with Chilli Cat and made our way to Tobago Cays to enjoy Cameron's Birthday. Apologies - not many photos.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb