Away with the birds


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

There comes a time when you can bear it no longer. 06h30 was that time. Humidity was high and the temperature was already in the high 20s. I just had to get up and shower.

After my breakfast, my driver came to collect me at 08h05 and we headed off through the rush hour traffic towards Castries. No cruise ships were in town but the traffic was just as bad.

Once through Castries, we headed through Cul de Sac, a wide valley in which bananas are grown. Stopping in the middle of the plantation, my driver talked through the growing process, noting that this variety (Valerie) was for the UK market. He added that these were not the best tasting but, when ripe, their skins went yellow. Apparently, this was something the UK supermarkets wanted and the St. Lucians were unable to sell the other varieties because their skins went pale green when ripe and remained unsold on the shelves.

Anyways, we continued past Marigot and, at the distillery, turned left through Morne d’Or towards Vanard. The houses in this area reflected the poverty in which the locals lived. The road simply petered out and most survived through farming and odd jobs. Climbing into the mountains, we eventually arrived at the Millet Bird Sanctuary. Here, an area has been set aside in which the trees are not felled and birds are protected. A trail (VIEW ROUTE) winds around the tops of the peaks offering great views of the surrounding countryside in addition to the possibility of seeing birds.

Seeing birds is the point to stress as it proved nigh on impossible to photograph the little critters. The Mango Cuckoo opted to stay behind the foliage whilst the Purple Breasted Hummingbird darted left and right before heading straight for me. I just didn’t stand a chance. However, the best view of the trip was that of the St. Lucian Parrot. Despite its best efforts, I did manage a number of photos although only one was suitable. The walk itself was hot and humid with ample short ascents.

After visiting the birds, I headed for Mama Sheila’s for a bite to eat – Caribbean fish and chips. Nice!

Marigot Bay came next. In the hot afternoon, there’s nothing like a trip around the bay to enjoy a cooling sea breeze. Except there was no cooling sea breeze. However, the views were absolutely beautiful.

That evening, I was invited to a cocktail party. Once over, I headed off to the Jazz Lounge for another long night of classic jazz and blues.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Marigot BayMarigot Bay
Marigot Bay

Nicholas Cage was due to buy this little house - but didn't


Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 16; qc: 89; dbt: 0.114s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb