Wonder works of man and nature / Obras asombrosas del hombre y de la naturaleza


Advertisement
Published: December 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Panama


During our last days in Miami we made the mistake of reading the foreign office's website and its country-related advice to help us get an idea of what we could expect to find in Central America. We say “mistake” because it put us right off. Each country we looked up sounded worse than the previous one. Of course we're talking about violence and robberies against tourists, including tourist buses hijacks and so on. So when we landed in Panama City we were feeling rather apprehensive.

We found a hostel in the bank and commercial district, which is where all the activity is (the old centre is now just a touristic area), and we felt quite safe there. People seemed quite friendly and the restaurants were cheap again. They gave us water with every meal too, so we saved some money not having to buy drinks separately. Excellent! We're back on budget!

Didn't spend long in the capital - as we've mentioned before, we're not really keen on cities and there's only so much you can do here anyway... but a must-see is the massive engineering feat that is the Panama Canal. For those of you who like facts and figures on this type of things, read on... (the girls can jump the next 4 paragraphs 😊)

The first to people to have a go at building the canal were French pioneers who arrived in Colon (a city on the Caribbean end of the Canal) in 1881. However, construction work was put on hold twice both through lack of funds and because of problems with the machinery. So the Americans took over in 1904 and stayed for 95 years, until they handed over full administration of the Canal to the Republic of Panama in 1999.

The Americans brought with them machinery that had been made especially for this project. The machines were capable of removing more than 8,000 tons of rock and earth in 8 hrs. Dry excavation lasted 7 years (1907-1913). It is estimated that with all the drilling performed, a hole could have been bored straight through the Earth and 900 kms (560 miles) beyond.

Most of the workers were of Jamaican origin. The largest number of workers registered during the construction of the canal was over 19,000 in 1884; thousands died of tropical diseases like malaria and yellow fever.

The canal is 80 kms (50 miles) long. Three sets of locks raise and lower ships 26 m (85ft) above sea level - the level of Gatun Lake, which is where the water to operate the locks comes from. The average time a ship spends in the canal is 24 hours, including waiting time at the locks. In the fiscal year 2004 almost 15,000 commercial ships crossed the Canal. The advantages of such “shortcut” are considerable: a trip from Felixstowe in the UK to Puerto Quetzal on Guatemala´s Pacific coast takes 17 days across the Canal, covering a total of 5,660 nautical miles. If it were to go round Cape Horn in Patagonia, it would take 36 days and cover 11,810 miles.

End of the facts and figures rant. Our time in Central America was pretty limited, so we had to whiz through it all with little chance to see much more than the obligatory touristic stops. From now on we will therefore squeeze everything we did in each country into one blog (one blog per country we mean), which will hopefully also help to bring these pages a little bit more up to date before you give up on us altogether. So anyway, where were we? Oh yes, the Panama Canal. We didn't cross it ourselves, just took a tour of the Miraflores locks and saw a couple of ships going through it. Very slow process but interesting to watch.

Our next destination was the town of Boquete in the jungle, which we reached on an old American yellow school bus. This was ok for Maria (and the locals) with relatively short legs, but Mark had some trouble fitting in the seats... he was worried that he may get DVT by the end of the journey. He didn't though and when we arrived in Boquete we found it was a small and friendly place, perfect for a few days break. We were also very lucky with the accommodation. A lady approached us as we stepped off the bus and showed us her place - it was a small one storey semi-detached building with two en-suite bedrooms with a shared kitchen and living room area. The good thing was that she left for the capital straightaway, and didn't come back for 3 days, so she didn't have time to find anybody else for the other room, meaning we had the whole place to ourselves. And it didn't cost us anymore than a regular hostel room either. Excellent!

The only problem was that it rained almost constantly for the 3 days! And when we say “rained” we actually mean “bucketed down”. We still took our chances and ventured out into the jungle in search of the beautiful Quetzal (a very colourful bird which is also Guatemala´s national symbol), which is said to be “relatively” easy to see here. We took a taxi to the entrance of the park, which is about 10 kilometers (4 miles) away, in order to save some time (and effort, obviously). They guy asked us if we wanted him to meet us later to take us back, but we didn't want to feel tied down to a schedule so decided to take our chances with the bus, even though it meant we would have to walk back a fair bit to the nearest stop.

So off we went into the jungle and after a few hours trekking saw no other animal than the seemingly wild horse that decided to follow the local in front of us for quite a while. Oh, and a dog guarding a house near the path which decided to try and bite our legs off. We saw the local throwing stones at him, so we picked up a couple and did likewise, walking past it with a spring in our step. Ok, to be fair we did see other animals - a woodpecker, some other birds from a distance and a group of ants building a motorway across the path. When we got to some sort of clearing, we stopped for lunch, then decided to climb a few more meters to a viewpoint, but thick fog covered the jungle below so we only got brief glimpses of it when it cleared for a couple of seconds at a time. On the way back, we heard some howler monkeys that must have been really close, but only saw a few fleeting shadows. So the walk was very green but rather fruitless. But hey, at least it got us out of the room...

As we walked out of the park and started to make our way down the hill, the heavens opened once more and even with our waterproof jackets on we still got fairly drenched. It was coming down so heavily that we had to squint in order to see where we were going, not nice! Then out of the blue comes the taxi driver who had taken us there in the morning... he had come especially looking for us when he saw the storm approaching! The only problem being... that he already had 4 people in the car with him! But they found us room anyway... “budge up, sit on my knee, mind the gear stick!”. Maria sat at the front with the driver and 2 other guys, meaning she spent the journey with her face against the window, and the driver was driving with a guy sitting pretty much on his lap, and to change gears he had to put his hand between the other guy's legs to find the gear stick! So Mark was pretty happy that he had some room on the back seat, which he only had to share with 2 others, so they had no excuses for inappropriate behaviour...

We left Boquete and the Jungle in favour of the tropical beaches of the Bocas del Toro Archipelago, a group of 9 main islands and other smaller ones on the Caribbean coast. Columbus was the first person to visit the islands during his fourth and last trip to the Americas; he stopped here to get provisions and repair his ships. English pirates found refuge in this area too, and in the 19th century rich families arrived from Jamaica with their slaves, followed by other English and Scottish families who emigrated here also with their slaves to avoid paying taxes. Nowadays the population is a mixture of white and black people; the former speak Spanish, and the latter, who are direct descendants of those Jamaican slaves, speak mostly English. Although only just; we found it very difficult to understand them, and it later transpired that what they speak is in fact a funny combination of English, Spanish and indigenous dialects and is called “Guari-Guari”.

The main town in the archipelago is found on the Colon Island, and is also called Bocas del Toro, or Bocas for short. It has a real Caribbean flavour to it, thanks to its many inhabitants of Jamaican origin. Needless to say, tourism is a very important source of income for the islands. There is no shortage of accommodation, tour agencies and souvenir shops. What we found was a lack in nice food
Bocas del Toro Archipielago / Archipielago Bocas del Toro Bocas del Toro Archipielago / Archipielago Bocas del Toro Bocas del Toro Archipielago / Archipielago Bocas del Toro

Boca del Drago Village in Colon Island ********* Pueblo de Boca del Drago en la Isla Colón
shops; the two supermarkets in town (both run, strangely enough, by oriental people) had a suspicious, nostril shrinking stench which we thought was the smell of rotten (or rotting) meat and we didn't dare buy anything from them other than tins, biscuits, bread and water... luckily there isn't a shortage of restaurants either, but if they use the same supermarkets to fill their fridges then you're not safe there either...

We shared a taxi with a couple of Dutch guys to the other side of the island and spent a few hours in the tiny village of Bocas del Drago. It only seemed to have one bar/restaurant and a handful of houses, and with coconut palm trees lining the white sand beaches around it, the villagers do seem to have an idyllic corner here. This was the first palm fringed, “postcard like” beach we’d ever been to, and it wasn't a bad example at all; we were lucky to have it pretty much to ourselves too, with only a small handful of people scattered along the long beach to share it with. Well, and the crabs. Millions of them. It looked like the floor was moving in front us as they scattered away when we approached them. The water was beautifully clear and we found a spot with a bunch of starfish near the shore, where we chilled out for a little while. The only downside was that we felt something sharp prickling our feet when we went into the water, but when we tried finding what it was that was hurting us, we couldn't see anything at all. And yet it felt like we were walking on needles. Later on we had to use our torches in the room to look more closely, and feeling the parts that were still hurting with one finger, it felt like we had thorns embedded in our skin, only we couldn't see anything at all. We had to guess by touch and using tweezers managed to get the offending objects out, they felt crunchy and seemed to crumble away when we pulled them out, which made us suspect it could have been fibreglass. So we didn't venture into the water again, just in case.

However we did venture out to other shores on a boat trip that took us on a sightseeing tour of the bay. It really is beautiful out here and it's not surprising that real estate is becoming big business as the Americans particularly have taken a liking to the place and are buying strips of land with views to building a retirement home, or developing it into tourist accommodation. We looked in the local newspaper and were interested to see that you can actually buy your own island here, not massively expensive either (the only down side being no facilities at all, we’re not even sure how they get drinking water). Our guide and captain took us for a bit of dolphin spotting first; this is a popular tourist attraction as there is a group of dolphins that live in one of the bays year round and sometimes they get friendly with the boats. We saw a few quite close up and although they seemed to be playing hide and seek with us, it gave us a thrill every time we saw a fin or a tail coming out of the water.

Leaving the dolphins behind, we went to a popular snorkelling spot. This was a beautiful, peaceful corner with just a couple of houses and a small restaurant on a pontoon. The water was crystal clear and we could see lots of fish just by looking over the pontoon, it was incredible. We ordered lunch and whilst it was being cooked we put on some goggles and snorkels provided by the boat company and in we went... We had never snorkelled before so didn't know what to expect, we actually thought we wouldn't see much more than what we saw from the pontoon, but were sorely mistaken. And glad we were! We just couldn't believe our eyes when we put our heads in the water - small fish, big fish, colourful fish, stripy fish... some swimming fast past us, others just hanging around, solitary fish, schools of fish... sea urchins, corals of many shapes, colours and sizes... did we mention loads of fish? We kept tugging at each other pointing at pretty much everything, whilst making silly noises (try speaking with a snorkel in your mouth) that were meant to be “oooooh!!” and “look!!”. We just couldn't get over it!

After a very tasty lunch we were back on the boat and headed towards the so called Red Frog Beach. Our guide told us it got its name from the little red frogs that live there, and which apparently used to be so abundant that you had to tiptoe around them to avoid squashing them. That was around 5 or 10 years ago... now you have to walk right to one end of the beach to find any, and even then there's only a handful of them. It’s a pity because they are really cute as you can see in the picture...

We finished off the day with another spot of snorkelling in a little bay called Hospital Point, and again we were absolutely fascinated by the incredible amount and variety of marine life just a few meters from the shore. We were so excited that we went and bought our own snorkelling gear as soon as we got back into town!

Whilst in Bocas, Maria saw an ad on the supermarket entrance asking for volunteers to help with a turtle protection project. We gave them a call and they arranged for us to volunteer at one of their two sites, Soropta, for a few nights. The place is so remote you can only access it by boat. There are no direct boats there either, so you need to get on the right water taxi that's going to the mainland and ask the “captain” to drop you off there, as it’s not a scheduled stop.

Soropta is a nesting ground for leatherback turtles mainly, although they also have the odd green turtle turning up from time to time. Unfortunately, there are a number of poachers that rob the nests and kill the turtles, so this project was set up in order to try and hinder their “work” as much as possible, by patrolling the beach at night and relocating the eggs to less conspicuous locations.

There is a project leader on site (a marine biologist) and a group of young local workers who are the ones patrolling the beach at night (when the turtles come out to lay the eggs). When they find a turtle, they look for tags to see if it's a regular or a new visitor: if the former, they'll check that the tag is not embedded into the flesh, in which case they'll replace it with a new one; if the latter, they'll tag it; and in both cases they keep a record of the visit. They also measure the size of its shell and look for injuries, scars, markings, parasites... The main job however is to keep the eggs safe, so if they find the turtle before it has started laying, they'll sit behind it and collect the eggs in a plastic bag as it lays them and later dig up a new nest and bury them there. If the turtle has already laid the eggs, they have to dig them up and relocate them. We couldn't quite work out what the volunteers do exactly as the workers seem quite capable to do all the work on their own, so in a way we just felt like we had paid money to watch them at work, but it was a very rewarding experience nonetheless.

The accommodation is very basic, there is a block with a dining room / kitchen with a couple of rooms attached to it where the workers live, and a second floor with 3 smaller rooms, one of which would be our bedroom for the next few nights. A separate block contains 3 rooms with bunkbeds where the majority of the volunteers sleep. A third separate block is the toilet and shower block. There is no plumbing and no electricity in
Bocas del Toro: Crab 3 / Cangrejo 3Bocas del Toro: Crab 3 / Cangrejo 3Bocas del Toro: Crab 3 / Cangrejo 3

Can you see a little face with a bit moustache? / ¿Podéis ver una carita con un gran bigote?
any of the buildings, so to flush the toilet you need to use water from a nearby well, and to see your way around by night you need to use candles or a torch. You need to be quick in the toilets or wee in the dark because of the many mosquitos that plague the block, who will not hesitate to chew your bottom as soon as you uncover it (as Maria discovered straightaway). The shower consists of a bucket and a bowl to pour water over yourself, and the water comes from a (slightly cleaner) second well. Many people give the showers a miss altogether - the workers particularly - and use the nearby river instead, which they also use to wash clothes. Whilst that looked like more fun, we couldn't ignore the fact that there were crocodiles in that river, and we didn't want to contaminate the water with chemicals anyway, so we stuck with the bucket and bowl... much safer! Mark found using the bowl a bit frustrating though, so whilst we were there he improvised a “power shower” using an old water bottle and burning holes in the cap using a hot needle. Not the latest in bathroom technology, but it worked quite well! He's full of good ideas sometimes.

There is a fluffy sloth that turns up every few days and spends all his time snoozing away on top of a tree by the river. We only saw him one afternoon and he hardly moved in several hours... There are also several types of lizards and crabs around, though they're not as easy to see as they run away and hide before you have time to spot them; we were very lucky to see the two lizards in the pictures. The little geckos come in very handy at night, as they feast on the myriad of insects that are attracted to the light of your candle. We found that they also provided us with some light entertainment before we went to sleep at night, watching them stalking their pray and chasing each other away.

As for the turtles, like we said they are mainly leatherbacks, the biggest turtles in the world. And they are BIG. Their shell can grow to 1.9 meters (over 6 foot) and they can weigh around 650 kg (1,400 pounds). They can live up to 70 years, reaching sexual maturity at 15-20. The males never leave the water, whilst the females only do it to lay their eggs, which they do in 2 or 3 year cycles. They are a migratory species which inhabit every Ocean in the world, and it is believed they cover around 11,000 kms (7,000 miles) during their migration every year. It is estimated that around 5,000 turtles come to nest in the Caribbean. The species has been classified as in critical danger of extinction, its rapid decline being blamed on accidental capture in fishing nets and indiscriminate poaching. They belong to Dermochelyidae family, of which they are its only genus and living species. The shell is actually not a shell as such, but a sort of leather (hence their name) covering a thick fat layer. This means they cannot retract their head, neck nor limbs inside it, making them more vulnerable to predators attacks.

Another job the resident workers/volunteers do is look for hatchling tracks during the daytime, which indicate a batch of eggs hatched during the night. They will then return to the nest at sundown and dig it up, just in case there are other hatchlings trapped inside. We were lucky enough to arrive the day after one of the nests had hatched, and to our delight 3 tiny turtles emerged from it when it was dug up. We found another nest during our last day and this time an amazing 14 hatchlings emerged alive. We have to say they were the cutest little things we'd seen in a long time, and it was amazing to see their instincts at work when they tried to get to the water straight away, which seemed a huge task and a monumental effort for such tiny creatures. It is sad to think that only a very small percentage of them will reach maturity.

That night we walked the entire 6 kms (3.75 miles) of beach (and back) without seeing a turtle. The walk is not easy either, you are not allowed to use your torch because it could scare the turtles away and they could go back into the water without laying, and it also gives your presence away to the poachers. So you have to walk in the dark, trying not to bang your toes and shins against the million obstacles on your way - there are tons of branches semi buried in the sand and you really don't want to walk into them; though we all did at some point. Except for the workers, who being used to the dark, seem to have developed cat’s eyes and walk at such a quick pace you find it really hard work to keep up. So after 12 kms (7.5 miles) of this you are really glad to reach the house and crawl into bed after counting your bruises. You are divided into groups and each group does the same walk at different times, so that there's always somebody patrolling the beach throughout the night. If you're on the first shift, you set off at around 9 pm so you don't go to bed too late, but if you go on a later shift you are guaranteed the need for a long siesta the day after.

Our second night we opted for the other end of the beach which is only under 2 kms (1.25 miles) long; although you walk back and forth a few times it’s not as tiring. However, being a shorter stretch of beach it means the chances of spotting turtles are fewer. So our second night came and went and we still hadn't seen a turtle. We were starting to get worried... would we see a turtle before we left? Would the saying “third time lucky” be true for us and would we see turtles on our third night? Well, the answer is yes! We went for the longer walk on our third night and found a turtle after a short walk. We were absolutely fascinated, not just to see how huge it was, but to see what an amazing job it did, digging up its nest with its hind flippers, laying the eggs, and later covering the nest so diligently, by throwing sand over it with its huge front flippers and flattening it carefully but firmly with its hind ones. It seems like really hard work and the poor thing was absolutely exhausted by the time it finished, we could hear it panting and breathing hard. It was concentrating so hard it didn't even seem to notice us working around it and “stealing” its eggs. Apparently they go into a kind of “trance” when they're laying and this makes the job of helping them quite easy; unfortunately it also makes them very vulnerable to more unscrupulous people.

After we bid it goodbye, as it made its way back into the ocean, we couldn't believe our luck when we found a second turtle just 50 meters further on. And after watching that one lay its eggs, we came across a third one just another 50 meters on! So by the time we finished with them, the next shift had caught up with us and continued to the end of the beach, so we didn't have to walk the whole 12 kms this time. Bonus!

We stayed a 4th night and saw another couple of turtles, so thought we could leave the next day and move on to Costa Rica; however we woke up to torrential rain and strong winds, and fearing the water taxi might sink in its attempt to reach the mainland, we decided to stay one more night. Plus we would also have got completely drenched as it's a basic boat with no protection against the elements, and we weren't feeling all that adventurous. In contrast, the staff promptly went out and started cutting the long grass with swift movements of their machete-wielding hands in the pouring rain. And they were very efficient too; apparently the rain makes the grass softer and easier to cut.

That last day, news reached us that a dead turtle had been found on a stretch of beach just beyond our boundaries; it had been hacked into pieces by poachers who, not wanting to wait until it laid the eggs in case they got caught red-handed, have started to kill them in order to rob the eggs whilst they're still inside the animal. Although we had only spent 4 days there, this news touched a nerve with us, and since the overall experience had been very special and the work the guys do seemed so worthy of help, we decided to make a donation to do our bit in the fight against these horrible people. During our stay, we noticed that they had a small area half fenced-off and they explained that it was meant to be a safe area to relocate eggs to, which they could lock up to keep the poachers at bay, but that they hadn't been able to finish it because of lack of funds. So we gave the project leader $100 in cash so she could buy the roll of wire netting they needed
Bocas del Toro: Red Frog / Ranita RojaBocas del Toro: Red Frog / Ranita RojaBocas del Toro: Red Frog / Ranita Roja

Apparently a few years ago you had to walk on tiptoes to avoid stepping on one - not now, we had to walk to the end of the beach to find this one ********* Al parecer hace unos años tenías que ir de puntillas para no pisarlas - ya no, tuvimos que ir al otro extremo de la playa para encontrar ésta
to finish it off before the end of the season. Her face lit up when we gave her the money and she assured us she would go out that same week to buy it and that they would get down to work on it straightaway, and she also promised us pictures once it was finished.

However, it's been a few months since then and we haven't heard from them. We sent an email to the director of the project which was completely ignored; so after a month we sent him another one with a veiled threat to give them bad publicity on the web if they couldn't prove that our money had been used in the way that had been promised to us. Funnily enough, we received a reply to this one pretty much straight away, but although they give us assurances that our money was indeed used in an “appropriate manner”, we still have no proof. In the meantime, two of the volunteers who we met there and who stayed for a few weeks longer after we left, have emailed us to say that nothing was done to finish the job off, and that they didn't even hear any mention of it either. So we're still a bit cheesed off about it and unfortunately, it’s made us think twice about contributing to any other charitable project.

When (or should that be “if”) we receive news that clear up our suspicions, we will update this page accordingly, but in the meantime we thought it was only fair to warn others of possible, let's say, “inappropriate behaviour” on the part of the organisation's staff.

On a brighter note, we found the contact with the young workers very touching too; they were all really friendly, easy-going lads who seemed to rather enjoy the simple things in life like chatting to friends, playing cards and jumping in the river. They always seemed happy and smiled easily. Naturally they must also dream of a “better” life from time to time, as they reacted with a mixture of shock and envy when they asked Maria how much her camera was, or how much it cost for things back home. However, they were even more shocked to hear that people in the so called first world with so called richer, better lives are not necessarily happier than them. That in fact many were so miserable they sought professional help, took antidepressant drugs, or sometimes even their own lives. Their reaction to this will be difficult to forget, they just couldn't imagine someone being so unhappy, and decided she might have been right in telling them that they were, in many ways, much more fortunate than us and that they should try to remain “uncorrupted” by western consumerism. And we did wish we could be a bit more like them, though we know we probably never will be.

So after one more night looking for turtles (and seeing none again), we said our goodbyes and jumped on the water taxi first thing in the morning to make our way into Costa Rica, taking with us great memories of what was yet another highlight in our trip; too bad we also took several dozen itchy sandfly bites with us! Ah well, who said life had to be perfect?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Durante nuestros últimos días en Miami cometimos el error de leer la página web del ministerio de asuntos exteriores y sus recomendaciones de viaje con respecto a los países que íbamos a visitar a continuación. Decimos error porque nos quitó las ganas ipso facto. Cada país que mirábamos tenía peor pinta que el anterior. Por supuesto estamos hablando de violencia y robos a turistas, incluyendo rapto de buses enteros y cosas así. Así que cuando aterrizamos en la Ciudad de Panamá nos sentíamos bastante recelosos.

Encontramos un hostal de mochileros en el distrito comercial y financiero, que es donde se encuentra toda la actividad hoy en día (el casco antiguo ha quedado sólo como zona turística), y la verdad es que nos sentimos bastantes seguros. La gente parecía muy maja y los restaurantes volvían a ser baratos. También nos daban una jarra de agua con cada comida, de manera que nos podíamos ahorrar dinero no teniendo que comprar bebidas aparte. ¡Genial! ¡Dejamos de machacar el presupuesto!

No pasamos mucho tiempo en la capital - como ya hemos mencionado en otras ocasiones, no nos vuelven locos las ciudades y tampoco es que haya mucho que hacer aquí precisamente... pero una parada obligada es una visita al enorme logro de ingeniería que es el Canal de Panamá. Para aquellos de vosotros que disfrutáis con datos “científicos” acerca de este tipo de cosas, continuad leyendo... (las chicas se pueden saltar los próximos 4 párrafos
Soropta: The shower / La DuchaSoropta: The shower / La DuchaSoropta: The shower / La Ducha

Used to be a bucket and bowl job, but Mark turned it into a hanging shower using a water bottle (clever boy) ********* Solía ser un cubo y un bol, pero Mark la convirtió en una ducha colgante utilizando una botella de agua (chico listo)
😊)

Los primeros que intentaron construir el canal fueron pioneros franceses que llegaron a Colón (una ciudad en el extremo caribeño) en 1881. Sin embargo, las obras se detuvieron en dos ocasiones tanto por falta de fondos como por problemas con la maquinaria. Así que los americanos vinieron en 1904, tomaron las riendas del proyecto y se quedaron 95 años, hasta que cedieron por completo la administración del Canal a la República de Panamá en 1999.

Los americanos trajeron consigo maquinaria que había sido fabricada especialmente para este proyecto. Las máquinas eran capaces de remover mád de 8.000 toneladas de roca y tierra en 8 horas. La excavación en seco duró 8 years (1907-1913). Se estima que con todas las perforaciones que se llevaron a cabo se podría haber perforado un agujero que atravesara la Tierra y se extendiera 900 kms más allá.

La mayoría de los trabajadores eran de origen jamaicano. El mayor número de trabajadores que se llegó a registrar durante la construcción del canal fue de más de 19.000 en 1884; miles de ellos murieron a causa de enfermedades tropicales como la malaria y la fiebre amarilla.

El canal tiene 80 kms de
Soropta: Sweet tooth / Un golosoSoropta: Sweet tooth / Un golosoSoropta: Sweet tooth / Un goloso

Well, given the choice between insects and jam I'd also go for the jam... ********* Puestos a elegir entre insectos y mermelada, yo también iría por la mermelada...
largo. Tres conjuntos de esclusas ascienden y descienden los barcos 26 metros sobre el nivel del mar - el nivel del Lago Gatún, que es de donde procede el agua que hace funcionar las esclusas. Los barcos pasan como media un total de 24 horas en el canal, incluyendo tiempo de espera en las esclusas. En el año fiscal 2004 se registraron casi 15.000 tránsitos por el Canal. Las ventajas de tal “atajo” son considerables: un viaje desde Felixstowe en el Reino Unido hasta Puerto Quetzal en la costa del Pacífico de Guatemala, dura 17 days cruzando el Canal, y cubre un total de 5.660 millas náuticas. Si tuviera que dar la vuelta por el Cabo de Hornos en Patagonia, el viaje duraría 36 días y cubriría 11.810 millas.

Se acabó la parrafada de datos “científicos”. Como teníamos el tiempo bastante limitado en Centro América, nos lo recorrimos todo a paso acelerado, sin mucha oportunidad de ver mucho más fuera de las paradas turísticas obligatorias. Así que a partir de aquí vamos a exprimir todo lo que vimos en cada país en una página (una página por país queremos decir), así con algo de suerte podremos poner las páginas algo más al día antes de que nos desertéis por completo. Pero bueno, ¿dónde estábamos? Ah sí, el Canal de Panamá. Nosotros no lo cruzamos, sólo visitamos las esclusas de Miraflores y vimos cómo lo hacían un par de barcos. Un proceso algo lento pero interesante de ver.

Nuestro próximo destino fue el pueblo de Boquete en la selva, al que llegamos en un viejo autobús escolar americano amarillo. Suficiente para mí, y para los lugareños teniendo las piernas igualmente cortas, pero Mark no cabía en los asientos, iba con las rodillas encajadas con el asiento de delante y preocupado que iba a llegar lleno de calambres; pero no, llegó bien aunque algo encogido. Al llegar a Boquete nos encontramos con que el pueblo parecía tranquilo y la gente amistosa, perfecto para pasar unos días tranquilos. Tuvimos suerte con el alojamiento - una señora muy maja se nos acercó tímidamente al bajar del bus y nos llevó a su alojamiento a dos patadas de la plaza, que resultó ser una casita baja adosada con dos habitaciones, cada una con baño propio, y saloncito y cocina compartidos, por el mismo precio que una habitación en cualquier otro hostal. Lo mejor
Soropta: Basilisk or "Jesus Lizard" / Basilisco o "Lagarto de Jesucristo"Soropta: Basilisk or "Jesus Lizard" / Basilisco o "Lagarto de Jesucristo"Soropta: Basilisk or "Jesus Lizard" / Basilisco o "Lagarto de Jesucristo"

So nicknamed because it runs so fast that it can walk on water ********* Tiene ese apodo porque corre tan rápido que puede caminar sobre el agua
es que lo tuvimos para nosotros solos, ya que nada más instalarnos ella cogió el próximo autobús a la capital donde iba a pasar los tres días siguientes, de modo que no tuvo tiempo de encontrar a nadie más para la otra habitación. ¡Genial!

El único problemilla es que llovió casi constantemente los tres días que pasamos allí. Bueno, decimos “llovió”, pero “diluvió” sería más apropiado, porque joroba la de agua que cayó. Pero aún nos arriesgamos y salimos de paseo por una reserva natural cercana con la idea de recorrernos lo que se conoce como la “ruta del quetzal” (un pájaro muy colorido y símbolo nacional de Guatemala), ya que en teoría al menos es “relativamente” fácil verlo. Cogimos un taxi hasta la entrada que está como a 10 kilómetros del pueblo por ahorrarnos tiempo (y esfuerzo claro). El chico nos preguntó si queríamos que viniese a buscarnos más tarde, pero no queriendo comprometernos a estar de vuelta a una hora determinada, le dijimos que no, que caminaríamos los 3 o 4 kms hasta la parada del bus y cruzaríamos los dedos esperando que apareciera.

Y así nos metimos en la jungla y después de varias horas de caminata no vimos ningún otro animal más que un caballo medio silvestre que decidió seguir a un lugareño que iba a unos metros por delante de nosotros. Ah, y un perro histérico haciendo de guardián de una casa cercana al camino, que decidió intentar arrancarnos las piernas a bocados. Cuando vimos al lugareño tirándole piedras, decidimos hacer lo propio, por si acaso, y aligeramos el paso hasta que nos encontramos a cierta distancia. Bueno, para ser justos sí que vimos otros animales - un pájaro carpintero a cierta distancia y un grupo de hormigas construyendo una autopista atravesando el camino. Cuando llegamos a un claro, paramos un rato para reponer fuerzas con nuestro almuerzo, y subimos unos metros más hasta un mirador, pero una vez arriba no vimos ni un pijo, pues una densa niebla lo cubría todo, y lo poco que aclaró sólo duraba un par de segundos. En el camino de regreso oímos los gritos de un grupo de monos aulladores, pero aunque debimos estar bien cerca no logramos verlos. Así que en general el paseo fue muy verde pero poco fructífero. Pero al menos nos sacó de la habitación...

Según salimos de la reserva y
Soropta: The turtle leaves the sea to make her nest / La tortuga sale del mar para hacer su nidoSoropta: The turtle leaves the sea to make her nest / La tortuga sale del mar para hacer su nidoSoropta: The turtle leaves the sea to make her nest / La tortuga sale del mar para hacer su nido

(photo borrowed from Soropta's project leader *** foto tomada en préstamo de la jefa del grupo en Soropta)
empezamos a bajar la cuesta de camino a la parada del bus, los cielos se abrieron una vez más y aún con los chubasqueros puestos nos empapamos de arriba a abajo. La lluvia caía con tal fuerza que íbamos con los ojos medio cerrados, sin poder ver bien dónde pisábamos, ¡qué desagradable! Y de repente vemos aparecer un coche que resultó ser el taxista que nos había traído por la mañana... ¡que salió a buscarnos cuando vió que se nos echaba la tormenta encima! El único “problemilla” era que ¡ya llevaba otras 4 personas en el coche! Pero sin problema, nos encontraron hueco... “córrete hacia un lado, siéntate en mi rodilla, ¡cuidado con el cambio de marchas!” A mí me sentaron delante, con el conductor y otros dos chicos, con lo que hice el viaje retorcida de lado con la cara prácticamente pegada a la ventanilla, mientras uno de ellos iba medio sentado encima del conductor, que tenía que prácticamente meterle mano entre las piernas para cambiar de marcha... así que Mark iba feliz en el asiento trasero que sólo tuvo que compartir con dos hombres menudos, que con tanto espacio no tenían excusa para comportarse indebidamente...

Dejamos Boquete y la jungla y nos encaminamos a las playas tropicales del archipiélago de Bocas del Toro, un grupo de 9 islas principales y otras menores en la costa del Caribe. Colón fue el primero que las encontró durante su cuarto y último viaje a las Américas; se detuvo aquí para reponer provisiones y reparar sus barcos. Más tarde la zona fue visitada por piratas ingleses y en el siglo XIX familias adineradas que llegaron de Jamaica con sus esclavos se asentaron aquí, seguidas de otras familias inglesas y escocesas que emigraron (también con sus esclavos) para evitar pagar impuestos. Hoy día la población es una mezcla de blancos y negros; los primeros hablan español, los segundos, que son descendientes directos de aquellos esclavos jamaicanos, hablan principalmente inglés. Aunque sólo a duras penas; nos costaba muchísimo entenderlos, y más tarde nos enteramos que es porque en realidad hablan una extraña mezcla de inglés, español, y dialectos indígenas, llamada “guari-guari”.

La población principal del archipiélago se encuentra en la isla de Colón, y se llama Bocas del Toro también, o Bocas por acortar. Tiene un verdadero sabor caribeño, gracias a sus muchos habitantes de origen jamaicano. No es de extrañar que el turismo es una fuente importante de ingreso en las islas, donde no faltan varias formas de alojamiento, agencias de viaje y tiendas de souvenirs. Lo que sí falta es un supermercado decente. Los dos que existen (y que los llevan, sorprendentemente, unos chinos (¿o japoneses?) tienen un olor sospechoso, de los que encogen las glándulas olfativas, que nos pareció carne podrida (o pudriéndose), con lo que no nos atrevimos a comprar nada que no saliera de una lata aparte de pan, galletas y agua... por suerte no hay escasez de restaurantes tampoco, aunque suponemos que si utilizan los mismos supermercados para llenar sus frigoríficos tampoco estás a salvo...

Compartimos un taxi con un par de chicos holandeses hasta el otro extremo de la isla, y pasamos unas horas en la minúscula aldea de Bocas del Drago. Lo único que vimos allí fue un bar/restaurante y un puñado de casas, y con palmeras cocoteras bordeando la blancas playas que lo rodean, parece que sus habitantes llevan una vida bien tranquila en su rincón idílico. Esta fue la primera playa de palmeras, típica de postal, que habíamos visitado nunca, y no resultó ser un mal ejemplo para nada; la tuvimos prácticamente para nosotros solos, sin tenerla que compartir más que con un pequeño número de personas bien esparcidas por toda su longitud. Bueno, y con los cangrejos. Miles de ellos. Parecía que el suelo se movía delante de nosotros, según salían corriendo en todas direcciones cuando nos acercábamos. El agua estaba clarísima y encontramos un rincón con varias estrellas de mar cerca de la orilla, donde nos sentamos y relajamos un rato. Lo único malo que encontramos fue que al remojarnos los pies sentimos cómo algo afilado y puntiagudo nos pinchaba al caminar, pero cuando intentábamos ver qué era no podíamos ver nada. Era como caminar sobre agujas. Más tarde de vuelta en la habitación volvimos a intentarlo, con la ayuda de nuestras linternas, pasando un dedo por las partes que pinchaban, era como si tuviéramos espinas muy finas metidas en la piel, pero no podíamos ver nada. Las tuvimos que sacar al tacto con unas pinzas de depilar, crujían al apretarlas y se desmigaban al sacarlas, sospechamos que pudo ser fibra de vidrio. Así que no nos volvimos a meter al agua, por si acaso.

Pero sí lo hicimos en otras costas, al unirnos a una excursión en barco para visitar otras partes del archipiélago. Es verdaderamente un pequeño paraíso y no es de extrañar que el negocio que está creciendo de verdad es el de los bienes inmuebles, ya que americanos en particular se están encaprichando del lugar y comprando terreno con idea de construirse un hogar donde disfrutar de su jubilación o convertirlo en alojamiento turístico. Incluso aún te puedes comprar tu propia mini-isla, pero claro, sin ningún tipo de comodidades, no sólo tendrías que construirte el alojamiento, sino también comprarte una barca como transporte, y ver cómo conseguir electricidad, agua potable, desagüe y demás, a no ser que no te preocupe vivir más “a lo natural”. Nuestro guía y capitán nos llevó primero a ver unos delfines que viven en una de las bahías durante todo el año y que al parecer a veces se acercan bastante a las barcas. Vimos varios bastante cerca y aunque parecían estar jugando al escondite con nosotros, aún nos emocionaba ver una aleta o una cola saliendo del agua.

Una vez dejamos los delfines, fuimos a uno de los sitios favoritos de la zona para hacer snorkelling. Era un rincón precioso, con sólo un par de casas y un pequeño restaurante sobre un pontón. El agua era transparente como el cristal y podíamos ver un montón de peces simplemente mirando desde el borde de la plataforma, increíble. Encargamos la comida y mientras nos la preparaban nos pusimos unas gafas y unos snorkels proporcionados por la misma empresa del barco y nos metimos al agua... como nunca habíamos hecho snorkel antes no sabíamos muy bien qué esperar, en realidad pensamos que no íbamos a ver mucho más que desde la plataforma, pero estábamos bien equivocados. ¡Y felices de estarlo! No podíamos creer lo que veían nuestros ojos en cuanto metimos la cabeza en el agua - peces pequeños, peces grandes, peces multicolores, peces a rayas... algunos nos pasaban rápido, otros se paraban cerca, peces solitarios, bancos de peces... erizos de mar, corales de multitud de formas, tamaños y colores... ¿hemos mencionado montones de peces? No hacíamos mas que pegarnos tirones del brazo uno al otro señalando a todas partes, haciendo ruidos tontos (¿habéis intentado hablar con un snorkel en la boca alguna vez?) que se supone eran “¡¡oooooh!!” y “¡¡mira!!”. ¡Estábamos alucinados!

Después de un sabroso almuerzo nos fuimos a otra de las islas y a una playa conocida como la Playa de las Ranitas Rojas. El guía nos dijo que el nombre se lo dieron por las ranitas que viven allí, que al parecer en su día eran tan abundantes que había que caminar de puntillas para no pisarlas. Pero tristemente en los últimos 5 o 10 años su número ha disminuido tanto que tuvimos que irnos a un extremo de la playa para encontrar alguna, e incluso allí sólo se encuentran unas pocas. Una lástima porque son una auténtica monería como podéis ver en la foto...

Terminamos el día con más snorkelling en otro rincón, y una vez más nos quedamos fascinados con la cantidad y variedad de vida marina que encontramos a tan sólo unos metros de la orilla. ¡Nos quedamos tan maravillados que nos compramos unas gafas y un snorkel en cuanto pusimos pie en el pueblo!

Mientras estábamos en Bocas, me fijé en un anuncio que había en la puerta del supermercado donde pedían voluntarios para trabajar en un proyecto de conservación de tortugas marinas. Les llamamos y nos encontraron un hueco en Soropta, una de las dos playas donde tienen el proyecto. El lugar es tan remoto que sólo se puede acceder en barca. Pero no hay barcas que te lleven allí directamente, por lo que tienes que subirte al “taxi acuático” que va a la península y pedirle al “capitán” que pare allí especialmente.

Soropta es un area de nidificación de tortugas laúd (o canal) principalmente, aunque de vez en cuando se encuentran con alguna verde. Por desgracia, hay una serie de cazadores furtivos y ladrones de nidos que roban los huevos y matan a los tortugas, de modo que el proyecto se estableció para intentar detener su “trabajo” en lo posible, patrullando la playa por las noches y cambiando los huevos a sitios menos obvios.

Cada playa tiene un jefe de proyecto (un biólogo marino) y un grupo de jóvenes trabajadores que son los que patrullan la playa por la noche (cuando las tortugas salen del agua a desovar). Cuando encuentran una tortuga, le miran las aletas a ver si tiene una ficha que indique si es una visitante nueva o una regular. Si ya tiene una ficha, se fijan que esté bien colocada y no se haya encarnado (en cuyo caso se la cambian); y si no tiene ficha le colocan una. En ambos casos toman nota de la visita. También le miden el caparazón, miran si tiene heridas, cicatrices, marcas de cualquier tipo, parásitos... El trabajo principal sin embargo es encargarse de que los huevos están a salvo, de modo que si encuentran la tortuga antes de que haya desovado, se sientan detrás y le colocan una bolsa debajo del culete, donde caen los huevos que más tarde colocan en un nido nuevo. Si la tortuga ya ha desovado, tienen que desenterrar los huevos y cambiarles a otro sitio. La verdad es que no acabamos de entender qué es lo que hacen los voluntarios exactamente ya que los empleados parecen poder arreglárselas perfectamente por su cuenta, de modo que en parte nos sentimos que habíamos pagado para verlos trabajar, pero aún así fue una experiencia muy gratificante.

El alojamiento es bastante básico, hay un bloque con un comedor / cocina y un par de cuartos adosados donde viven los empleados, y en la planta de arriba tiene otras tres habitaciones, una de ellas es donde dormimos nosotros. En un bloque aparte hay otras tres habitaciones con literas donde duermen el resto de los voluntarios. Un tercer bloque es el de las duchas y servicios. No hay ningún tipo de drenaje en sí ni electricidad en ninguno de los bloques, de modo que para vaciar los servicios se utilizan cubos que hay que llenar con el agua de un pozo cercano, y para ver por dónde andas por la noche si no tienes su propia linterna tienes que utilizar una vela. En los servicios tienes que ser rápido o hacer pipí a oscuras porque están plagados de mosquitos que no duran en picotearte el culo en cuanto lo destapas (como yo pude dar fé inmediatamente). La ducha consiste de un cubo y un bol, el agua proviene de otro pozo algo más limpio que el anterior. Mucha gente sin embargo pasan de la ducha y se bañan en el río, que también utilizan para lavarse la ropa. Mientras que este sistema parecía más divertido, no podíamos ignorar el hecho de que hay algún que otro cocodrilo en ese río, y no queriendo contaminar el agua con agentes químicos, nos quedamos con el cubo y el bol... ¡más seguro! Pero a Mark le pareció algo frustante ducharse con un bol minúsculo, así que improvisó una ducha utilizando una botella de agua, haciéndole agujeritos en el
Soropta: The Volunteers / Los VoluntariosSoropta: The Volunteers / Los VoluntariosSoropta: The Volunteers / Los Voluntarios

Con Natalia, the group's leader (next to Mark) and the only worker who was awake (at the back) ********* Con Natalia, la jefa del grupo (al lado de Mark) y el único trabajador que estaba despierto (en segundo plano)
tapón con una aguja caliente. No es que fuera lo último en tecnología de baño pero funcionó bastante bien. Y es que a veces está lleno de buenas ideas.

Hay un perezoso que aparece de vez en cuando y se pasa el día echándose la siesta en uno de los árboles que hay junto al río. Sólo le vimos una tarde, y apenas se movió en varias horas... también hay varios tipos de lagartos y cangrejos, aunque estos no son tan fáciles de ver pues salen por patas en cuanto te sienten y se esconden en cuestión de dos segundos; pero tuvimos suerte de ver los dos lagartos de las fotos a los que no pareció importarles mucho nuestra presencia. Los geckos minúsculos que abundan en la casa vienen muy bien por la noche, cuando se dan un banquetazo con los miles de insectos que aparecen en cuando enciendes una vela. También proporcionan entretenimiento antes de dormir, viendo como acechan su presa y se espantan unos a los otros.

En cuanto a las tortugas, como ya dijimos son principalmente tortugas laúd o canal, las más grandes del mundo. Y son ENORMES. El caparazón puede medir hasta 1,90 m y pueden pesar alrededor de los 650 kg. Viven un promedio de 70 años, alcanzando la madurez sexual a los 15-20. Los machos nunca salen del agua, y las hembras sólo para desovar, que lo hacen en ciclos de 2 o 3 años. Son una especia migratoria que viven en todos los océanos del mundo, y se estima que recorren unos 11.000 kms cada año durante sus migraciones. Un número estimado de 5.000 tortugas vienen a desovar al Caribe. La especie está clasificada en peligro crítico de extinción, y se cree que el rápido declive se debe a captura accidental en redes de pesca y caza furtiva indiscriminada. Pertenecen a la familia de las Dermochelyidae, de la que son su único genero y especie viviente. El caparazón no es un verdadero caparazón, sino una especie de cuero que cubre una gruesa capa de grasa (de hecho su nombre en inglés se traduce como “espalda de cuero”). Esto significa que no pueden esconder la cabeza, el cuello ni las extremidades, lo que les hace más vulnerables a los depredadores.

Otro trabajo de los empleados / voluntarios es buscar huellas de neonatos durante el día, que indican que un nido de huevos eclosionó durante la noche. Entonces se acercan al nido a la caida del sol y lo cavan, por si acaso hay bebes atrapados dentro. Tuvimos la suerte de llegar al día siguiente de haber eclosionado un nido, y para nuestra sorpresa tres diminutas tortugas salieron de él cuando lo cavaron. Encontramos otro nido durante nuestro último día y en esta ocasión salieron 14 bebés vivos. La verdad es que eran las cosas más monas que habíamos visto en mucho tiempo, y fue increible ver cómo sus instintos les llevan a dirigirse al agua inmediatamente, lo que parecía un trabajo tremendo y un esfuerzo monumental para unas criaturitas tan diminutas. Lo triste es que sólo un porcentaje muy pequeño de ellas llega a alcanzar la madurez.

Durante nuestra pimera noche nos recorrimos los 6 kms de playa (y otros 6 de regreso) sin ver ni una tortuga. Y encima el “paseo” no es nada fácil, no puedes utilizar linterna ya que la luz espanta a las tortugas que se pueden volver al agua sin desovar, y encima delata tu presencia a los robanidos. Así que tienes que hacerte todo el recorrido en la oscuridad, intentando no pegártela contra los miles de obstáculos que hay en el camino - montones de ramas medio enterradas en la area con las que de verdad no quieres tropezar; aunque todos lo hicimos en varias ocasionest. Excepto los empleados, que estando acostumbrados a la oscuridad han desarrollado ojos de gato, y caminan a una marcha que vas que te matas por intentar seguirlos. Así que después de los 12 kms de caminata, bien que te alegras de tirarte en el colchón después de contar los cardenales. Te dividen en grupos y cada grupo hace el mismo recorrido a diferentes horas, de manera que siempre hay alguien patrullando la playa durante toda la noche. Si estás en el primer turno, sales a eso de las 8 o las 9, de manera que no acabas yéndote a dormir demasiado tarde, pero si te toca un turno más tarde ten por seguro que vas a necesitar una buena siesta al día siguiente.

Para nuestra segunda noche optamos por hacernos el otro extremo de la playa, que es sólo de unos 2 kms de longitud; aunque te lo haces varias veces, no es tan agotador. Pero siendo un recorrido más corto, también significa que la probabilidad de ver alguna tortuga es menor. Así que nuestra segunda noche pasó sin pena ni gloria tampoco... Por aquello de que a la tercera va la vencida, para nuestra tercera noche elegimos el paseo largo otra vez, y tuvimos suerte porque sólo habíamos hecho unos 2 kms cuando encontramos una tortuga a punto de desovar. Nos quedamos totalmente fascinados, no sólo de ver lo enorme que era, sino de poder observar cómo trabajaba cavando su nido con las aletas traseras, desovando, y luego tapándolo tan diligentemente, echando tierra encima con sus enormes aletas delanteras y aplastándola cuidadosa pero firmemente con las traseras. Lo cierto es que no parece tarea fácil y las pobres acaban totalmente agotadas, se les oye jadear y respirar hondo y de vez en cuando se detienen unos segundos para recuperar aliento. Y durante todo el proceso están tan concentradas que ni parecen percatarse de tu presencia, ni se enteran de que estás ahí con ellas trabajando a su alrededor y “robándoles” los huevos. Al parecer entran en una especie de “trance” cuando están desovando, y esto hace que sea fácil ayudarlas; desafortunadamente también las hace a ellas muy vulnerables a gente con menos escrúpulos.

Después de despedirnos de esta nuestra primera tortuga, y verla cómo se metía de nuevo al mar, no podíamos creer nuestra suerte cuando encontramos una segunda tortuga ¡a sólo unos 50 metros de la primera! Y después de verla desovar, fuimos y nos encontramos otra ¡otros 50 metros más allá! Los empleados no daban abasto, decían que es muy raro verlas así tan seguidas y en tan poco espacio. Para cuando terminamos con esta última, ya nos había alcanzado el siguiente turno, y fueron ellos los que patrullaron el resto de la playa, de manera que nosotros no tuvimos que hacernos el recorrido entero, sino que nos dimos media vuelta y nos fuimos a dormir. ¡Mejor todavía!

Nos quedamos una cuarta noche y vimos otro par de tortugas, así que pensamos que podíamos marcharnos al día siguiente y continuar viaje a Costa Rica; sin embargo cuando nos despertamos caía una lluvia torrencial y soplaba un huracán, de modo que temiendo que el taxi se fuera a hundir de camino a la península, decidimos quedarnos una noche más. Además nos habríamos calado hasta la médula pues la barca es muy básica sin protección contra los elementos atmosféricos, y no nos sentíamos tan aventureros como para eso. En contraste, los empleados salieron de la casa sin perder el tiempo y se pusieron a cortar la larga hierba a golpes de machete bajo el diluvio. Y bien eficientes que eran; al parecer es que la lluvia ablanda la hierba y la hace más fácil de cortar.

Ese último día nos llegaron noticias de que habían encontrado una tortuga muerta en un extremo de la playa inaccesible para el grupo, descuartizada por cazadores furtivos que, no queriendo esperar a que desove por si se les pilla con las manos en la masa, matan a las tortugas para robarles los huevos cuando aún los tienen dentro. Aunque sólo habíamos pasado 4 días allí, esto nos entristeció bastante, y como la experiencia en general nos había resultado tan especial y el trabajo que realizan los chicos del proyecto nos pareció tan digno de ayuda, decidimos hacer una donación para aportar nuestro granito de arena a la lucha contra esta gentuza. Durante los días que estuvimos allí, nos fijamos que tenían un vivero a medio construir, y los chicos habían comentado que era una pena que no hubiesen podido terminarlo por falta de fondos, ya que esto les permitiría reubicar más huevos a un lugar más seguro donde los cazadores furtivos no pudieran robarlos. De modo que le dimos a la jefa del proyecto $100 en efectivo para que pudiesen comprar el rollo de alambrada y terminarlo antes del fin de la temporada. Se le iluminó la cara al recibirlo y nos prometió que esa misma semana compraría el rollo y se pondrían manos a la obra, y que nos mandarían fotos cuando estuviese terminado.

Sin embargo, han pasado meses y no hemos sabido nada de ellos; le mandamos un email al director del proyecto y nos ignoró. Después de un mes decidimos mandar otro con una amenaza velada de darles mala publicidad en la web si no nos demostraban que nuestro dinero se había utilizado para los fines que nos habían prometido, y entonces recibimos contestación inmediatamente. Aunque nos aseguran que el dinero se utilizó correctamente, aún no nos han mandado pruebas. Mientras tanto, dos de los voluntarios que conocimos alli y que aún se quedaron varias semanas después de que nos marcháramos nosotros, nos han dichon que el vivero no se tocó ni ellos oyeron mención del tema siquiera mientras estuvieron allí, así que estamos un poco mosqueados por el asunto y desafortunadamente esto ha hecho que nos lo pensemos dos veces antes de contribuir a ningún otro proyecto caritativo.

Cuando recibamos (o debería ser “si recibimos”) noticias que despejen nuestras sospechas, actualizaremos esta página debidamente, pero mientras tanto pensamos que era justo alertar a otros de una posible, digamos, “conducta indebida” por parte del personal de la organización.

En un plano más positivo, está el contacto que tuvimos con los jóvenes empleados, y que disfrutamos mucho; la verdad es que eran todos unos chicos muy simpáticos y sencillos y era un gusto verlos disfrutar con las cosas simples de cada día, como charlar con amigos, jugar a las cartas o tirarse de cabeza al río, jugando a ver quién podía hacer la pirueta más boba. Siempre parecían estar felices y sonreían con facilidad. Naturalmente también deben soñar con una vida “mejor”, y les vi reaccionar con una mezcla de “shock” y envidia cuando me preguntaron cuánto costaba mi cámara y otras cosas donde vivíamos. Pero aún reaccionaron con más incredulidad cuando les dije que aunque les costara creérselo, mucha gente en lo que llaman primer mundo con vidas supuestamente más ricas y mejores, no eran recesariamente más felices que ellos. Que en realidad mucha gente se siente tan desdichada que buscan ayuda profesional, tomas drogas antidepresivas y a veces acaban por quitarse la vida. Nunca olvidaré su reacción al escuchar esto último, simplemente no les entraba en la cabeza que nadie pudiera ser tan infeliz como para llegar a ese extremo, y acabaron decidiendo que posiblemente llevase yo razón al decirles que debían tratar de todas las maneras de no dejarse corromper por la cultura de consumo que nos ha invadido y dominado a los demás. Nosotros acabamos deseando poder ser un poco más como ellos, aunque sabemos que probablemente nunca lo lograremos.

Después de una noche más buscando tortugas (pero no viendo ninguna), nos despedimos de todos y nos subimos al taxi por la mañana temprano y cruzamos a Costa Rica, llevándonos con nosotros muy buenos recuerdos de lo que resultó ser otra experiencia muy especial de nuestro viaje; ¡lástima que también nos llevamos varias docenas de picaduras de “chitras” (moscas de la arena) que picaban que rabiaban! Pero, ¿desde cuándo es la vida perfecta?

Advertisement



7th May 2007

su viaje
vaya me lei todo su blog y me parecio q en realidad si se divirtieron bastante, aunque lastima que hayan venido en epoca lluviosa, talvez hubiesen tenido la oportunidad de conocer mas si no hubiese llovido tanto. Me alegro que les haya gustado nuestro pequeño país y aunque talvez no tengan planeado volver les digo que San Blas hubiese sido de su agrado , en una comarca donde habitan los indigenas Kunas y es uno de los lugares mas hermosos de Panamá. Tambien es un archipielago como Bocas del Toro. mi email: desi_burgos@hotmail.com y bueno estoy a la orden para cualquier cosa que les interese saber de Panama saludos y cuidense !!! ah y felicidades por su boda, vi las fotos y estan maravillosas en la nieve!!!
17th July 2009

Please what is the Latin (binominale) name of crab on a picture no. 3 with best regards cico from croatia
18th July 2009

no idea!!!
Sorry, not a clue!! We don't know anything about crabs... just enjoyed looking at the different types we found and photographing them...
1st February 2011
Boquete: Quetzal Trail / Ruta del Quetzal

Bonito
que trabajo tan bonito. Desde mi silla me has llevado en un biaje. No mi compa felicidades muy buen trabajo. De mi parte Gracias y que sigas subiendo mas fotos. Gracias de nuevo. Suerte en todo.

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb