Panama! Panama!


Advertisement
Published: May 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Isla GrandeIsla GrandeIsla Grande

Can you tell I love the Caribbean?
Jump back, whats that sound?
Here she comes, full blast and top down.
Hot shoe, burnin down the avenue.
Model citizen zero discipline.
Don't you know she's coming home with me?
You'll lose her in the turn.
Ill get her!
Panama! Panama!
Panama! Panama...ah..oh..oh..ah...ah!

Yes, my friends, I made it to Panama safely. I thought I was mistakenly flewn to the States. The city is very modern. I didn't know what to expect, so it's resemblance to the U.S. really opened my eyes. U.S. troops were stationed here for a long time, so they had a lot of influence on Panama's growth. Plus, the Panama Canal of course! The U.S. managed the canal for more than 80 years until they transfered ownership back to Panama in 1999. Panama now maintains and runs the canal with a few clauses of course. The U.S. can still take over it in case of terrorist attacks or mismanagement. So far, the Panamanian government has been doing a good job in managing and maintaining the waterways.

I visited my friend, Yahaira, who is from the city. I first met her in Peru back in December and we hit it off well. She's very cool and good-hearted. I mentioned I'd be visiting Panama some time, so we kept in touch. She made my visit much more pleasant. She drove me around everywhere and taught me about the history of Panama.

Yahaira and I decided to hit up the Caribbean with a visit to Isla Grande. It was a beautiful beach with perfect water. It felt like I was swimming in a swimming pool without the chlorine. The island definitely goes in my top 5 beaches I have visited.

I also got to visit Casco Viejo, the old colonial center of Panama. The neighborhood had a lot of character, but is located in a very shady area. Another site was Panama Viejo, the old city of Panama that was destroyed by a powerful earthquake and the pirate, Henry Morgan.

I was the only person in my hostel for most of my time here in Panama until Rea and Raffaela showed up. Two Swiss girls. Yes, I had to share the dorm with two Swiss girls. I know, it was terrible (sarcasm). They turned out to be awesome! We got along really well. We decided to visit the Panama Canal together. Really cool place to see. We got to see ships pass by and how the process works. It's more impressive once you know how much work it took to build the canal. Impressive!

Rea and Raffaela headed off to San Blas (Caribbean) early morning the next day. They wanted me to join them and I wanted to very much, but I really need to start heading north. Gonna miss their cool vibes.

I am now headed to Costa Rica. Don't think I'm going to spend too much time here. Heard it was expensive. Funds are running low.

still having fun....
alex



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Isla GrandeIsla Grande
Isla Grande

Black Jesus in the water.
Panama CanalPanama Canal
Panama Canal

Watching a ship pass by the canal.
CasinoCasino
Casino

Me and my friend, Yahaira, on our way to play the 5 cents slot machines at the casino. We're high rollers.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb