Panama - Day 2


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Coclé
February 26th 2013
Published: February 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Great day today! Jim and I traveled back up the coast today to Punta Chame to see Nitro City Panama. Once known as Motel Punta Chame, the resort has been refurbished and is now the home of the Nitro Circus a/k/a Nitro City Panama. For those of you unfamiliar with Nitro Circus, this is a group of extreme sports such as motocross, wake boarding, kite surfing, sky diving, skateboarding etc. The resort is associated with Travis Pastrana a well known motorcycle stunt rider, rally and NASCAR driver. It is set up to be a travel destination for the extreme sport enthusiast, which means Jim and I only went to observe as we're about 40 years to late to be participants! It was fun to visit and enjoy the ambience of the resort, and we got some really great pictures.

We had just arrived back at the Manglar Lodge, unloaded the car and hauled everything back up to our room when the power went out. Thinking this wasn't unusual for this sleepy little beach town, we took the outage in stride and decided to hit the beach and enjoy the water, sure the power would be back on when we returned. After wearing ourselves out in the water and waves, we headed back to the room only to find the power was still out. The staff assured us the power would be back on in "about 20 minutes". A half hour later a very official looking "official" showed up at the Lodge and soon after the staff informed us, the outage affected the entire country of Panama, told us this had never happened before in the history of Panama, and that electricity would not be restored for 3 more hours. Determined not to let this affect our day, we sat on our deck and enjoyed the warm tropical breeze and sounds of the surf.

About 5:30 we decided to go downstairs to see if the kitchen was open and were pleasantly surprised to see everything there in order. We also made some new friends who are in Panama with the same mission as us, looking for an alternative retirement location. An American mother and daughter duo who currently live in Costa Rica and a gentlemen from San Antonio looking to relocate his family to a simpler way of life. Our paths may cross again during the trip, as both we're going to the same places we have planned to go, only in reverse order.

Tomorrow we leave bright and early for Pedasi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sting Ray WarningSting Ray Warning
Sting Ray Warning

These guys are plentiful at low tide.
Iguana sunning himself. Iguana sunning himself.
Iguana sunning himself.

He wasn't afraid of us at all!


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb